Intramurals: Policies & Expectations
- All current RIT students, faculty, staff, and alumni may participate, and must show a valid RIT ID upon signing in at a game. Alumni must have a current membership to the Student Life Center.
- Participants under the age of 18 must print a copy of the above Release Agreement, have it signed by a parent or guardian, and return the signed Release Agreement to the Intramural Office, Student Life Center Room 1217. If a signed Release Agreement is not on file in the Intramural Office, the player may not participate in any intramural sports.
- RIT alumni must have a current membership to the Student Life Center and must show a valid RIT Alumni ID upon signing in at a game.
- Registration is done online. If all available spots have been filled, any further entries will be placed on a waiting list, in the order that they are received. The captain of a team on the waiting list will be contacted only if there is a space available. This may occur at any time during the semester.
- Playing on more than one team in the same league will result in suspension of the offending player(s), the team captain will be suspended for one game, and the team will forfeit any games in which the offending player(s) participated.
- Unless the opposing captain agrees to let the team play, a team that does not have the necessary number of players at the start of a scheduled contest will forfeit. This means that the team does not have the minimum number of players do not show up at all, or do not have an approved cancellation request from the IM Office. All cancellation requests must be submitted through FusionIM, email, or phone at least one business day in advance (a Sunday team must notify the IM Office no later than 4pm Thursday). Teams that forfeit twice will be dropped from the league.
- There is no grace period. Teams must be present and ready to play at the scheduled time. If a player is not listed on the printed or electronic roster, they cannot play.
- If a team chooses to enter more than one sport and/or day, it is the team captain's responsibility to resolve all conflicts before submitting their entries. Time preferences are not guaranteed.
- All intramural team names will be reviewed by the Intramural Office and may be changed at the sole discretion of the Intramural Office.
- At no time will an intramural team enter into a sponsorship agreement with another entity, either on- or off-campus, as individuals or as a team without the written consent of the Intramural Office.
- If a team is entered into a league, it is expected that they will field enough players to participate each week.
- If there is a sport offered as club and intramural, a maximum of four club players or approved ex-varsity players may play on an intramural team in Advanced only. Club and approved ex-varsity players may not play in an intramural Beginner league. Violation will result in suspension of the offending player(s), and the team will forfeit any games in which the offending player(s) participated. This rule does not apply to an intramural sport in which Beginner is the only available league.
- Players may not play for any team in the sport in which they are suspended.
- If a player accumulates four yellow cards or three red cards, they will be suspended or removed from their team.
- If a player accumulates four minor penalties or three major penalties in hockey or broomball, they will be suspended or removed from their team.
- Penalties and cards are cumulative by sport, regardless of the league in which the player participates.
- Teams may be suspended or removed by accumulating forfeits. Members of a removed team are only allowed to join another team within the same sport by permission of the Assistant Director, IM after an in-person meeting.
There will be a zero-tolerance policy in effect for all matters regarding conduct while participating in intramurals.
- All intramural teams and team members represent RIT and the intramural program. Any team may be removed from participation at the sole discretion of the Intramural Office.
- Any individual or team who instigates or participates in a fight, regardless of cause, will be immediately removed from the premises and suspended. If necessary, the incident will be reported to Public Safety.
- Any individual or team who argues with the call of our student officials will receive a penalty.
- Any individual or team that verbally or physically threatens an official or any Institute staff member in any way, student or otherwise, will receive a red card, be removed from the premises, and suspended. The incident will be reported to Public Safety, and if necessary, outside authorities.
- Team captains are responsible for the conduct of their players as well as their fans.
- The possession and consumption of alcohol or drugs is prohibited in all athletic facilities. Any individual found to be in possession of, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs at any time during an intramural contest will be removed from the premises and suspended. The incident will be reported to Public Safety.