Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
RIT Global

Exchange Programs

Will I need to receive the COVID-19 vaccination prior to studying abroad?
While RIT no longer requires students to be vaccinated, we highly encourage study abroad participants to stay up-to-date with immunizations, boosters and social distancing polices. In fact, study abroad partners and vendors, travel providers and foreign governments may have different requirements and it is the students responsibility to understand and adhere to all requirements and guidelines.

Will I get a refund if my exchange study abroad program is modified or canceled BEFORE I depart?
There is no program fee for RIT exchange programs, since you pay your living expenses in country. You should make sure to understand the cancellation policy for university housing or apartments in your study abroad location. You will need to work with your landlord to obtain a refund for apartment rent.  The exchange partner university will be able to assist with canceling university housing fees prior to your arrival. Any financial aid or scholarships that have been granted for this experience may be modified or rescinded. However, we cannot refund any out of pocket expenses, such as airfare. We recommend that you wait to purchase airline tickets until you are notified it is okay to do so. We also highly recommend purchasing refundable airline tickets. 

Will I get a refund if my exchange study abroad program is modified or canceled AFTER I depart?
Refund amounts will depend on the amount of expenses that have already been spent on your behalf. If you are paying for housing on a monthly basis, you may be able to cancel your housing prior to paying for the remaining months. If classes have already started in country, most likely the classes will continue in an online format, so there will be no tuition refund since you will be able to complete your coursework in a modified format.

Who should I contact about how COVID-19 is affecting my exchange study abroad program?
Prior to departure, you should contact your study abroad advisor, Maureen Shannon (  While on your program, you should contact the exchange partner emergency contact.  You will receive a list of important contact information during the in-country orientation.

What if I get sick while abroad?
If you are feeling ill while abroad, inform your in country emergency contact immediately. 

RIT will provide international health insurance from RIT’s provider, On Call International for students studying on RIT programs. On Call may provide assistance for finding local medical providers, coordination of illness/medical issues (including translation services if needed), coverage for medical care, doctor/hospital visits, and emergency evacuation due to accident, illness or safety reasons.

How will I fulfill my academic requirements if my exchange study abroad program is canceled BEFORE it starts?
If your fall or spring semester program is canceled before the start of the semester, you should be able to enroll in courses at the Rochester campus. It will be helpful to have a backup plan in place with your academic advisor.  You could also enroll in Rochester classes at your regular shopping cart appointment time, and then your study abroad advisor can drop those classes and enroll you in the study abroad credits prior to the start of your study abroad program.

For summer programs, we understand the inability to earn these credits may impact your plans for graduation. Please reach out to your academic advisor to have a backup plan in case the program is canceled before the start of the summer term. 

What happens with my classes if my exchange study abroad program is modified or canceled AFTER it has already started?
If your program is modified or cancelled after classes have started, the exchange partner university should have a plan in place to continue classes in a modified format (online).  This will allow you to receive academic credit for your classes and keep you on track for graduation.

Who should I contact about how COVID-19 is affecting my exchange study abroad program?
Email Maureen Shannon, Study Abroad Advisor, at or call 585-475-4466


Maureen Shannon