BS, MS, Ph.D., University of Toronto (Canada)
Alexander C. Loui received his B.A.Sc. (Honors), M.A.Sc, and Ph.D. all in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto, Canada. He joined the Dept. of Computer Engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology in 2018. Prior to that, he spent over 28 years in a number of technical and research leadership positions with Kodak Alaris (2013-18), Kodak Research Labs (1996-13), and Bell Communications Research (1990-96). Dr. Loui has been directing research and development on computer vision and machine learning systems for a broad range of applications including image classification, video summarization, image/video retrieval, image management and curation, event detection, image quality assessment, and visual communications. His research interests also include data mining and deep learning algorithms for machine intelligence and AI applications. He has published over 100 refereed journal and conference papers in these areas. He is an Adjunct Professor of the ECE Department at Ryerson University in Toronto.
Dr. Loui is a Senior Area Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. He has also served as an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, and SPIE Journal of Electronic Imaging. He has been an elected member of the IEEE ICME Steering Committee, IVMSP, MMSP, and MSA Technical Committees. He was Chair of the IEEE Rochester Section (2010-11), and Chair of the Rochester Chapter of IEEE Signal Processing Society (2005). Dr. Loui was a Kodak Distinguished Inventor with over 80 granted US patents. He is a recipient of the IEEE Region 1 Technological Innovation Award and a Fellow of IEEE and SPIE.
- M. Kucer, A. Loui, and D. Messinger, "Leveraging expert feature knowledge for predicting image aesthetics," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol. 27, Issue 10, Oct. 2018.
- C. Zhang, S. Sah, T. Nguyen, D. Peri, A. Loui, C. Salvaggio, and R. Ptucha, “Semantic sentence embeddings for paraphrasing and text summarization,” Proc. IEEE GlobalSIP, Montreal, Canada, Nov. 2017.
- C. Zhang and A. Loui, "A coarse-to-fine framework for video object segmentation," Proc. Visual Information Processing and Communication Conference, IS&T Electronic Imaging, San Francisco, CA, Jan. 2017.
- M. Wood, M. Das, P. Stubler, and A. Loui, “Event-enabled intelligent asset selection and grouping for photobook creation,” Image and Vision Computing – Special Issue on Event-based Media Processing and Analysis, Vol. 53, Elsevier, Sept. 2016.
- W. Jiang, and A. Loui, “Video concept detection by audio-visual grouplets,” International Journal of Multimedia Information Retrieval (IJMIR), Vol. 1, Issue 4, pp. 223-238, Springer, Dec. 2012.
- M. Das, A. Loui, and A. Blose, “Visual feature localization for detecting unique objects in images,” book chapter on Multimedia Information Extraction: Advances in Video, Audio, and Imagery Analysis for Search, Data Mining, Surveillance and Authoring, Wiley/IEEE Computer Society Press, Oct. 2012.
- M. Park, M. Kumar, and A. Loui, “Saliency detection using region-based incremental center-surround distance,” Proc. IEEE Intern. Symposium on Multimedia, Dana Point, CA, Dec. 2011.
- Y.-G. Jiang, G. Ye, S.-F. Chang, D. Ellis, and A. Loui, "Consumer Video Understanding: A Benchmark Database and an Evaluation of Human and Machine Performance,” Proc. ACM Intern. Conf. on Multimedia Retrieval, Trento, Italy, April 2011.