The Procurement Services Office has developed standards and recommendations to assist you with the procurement of your office furniture requirements. These standards have been developed to assure you of exceptional quality and service while ensuring functionality and efficient use of University funds. Please read this page in its entirety before beginning your furniture purchase.
The RIT furniture manufacturers have been selected based on their commitment to the RIT furniture standards. The primary manufacturer is Steelcase, purchased through their supplier, Merkel Donohue. Within the Steelcase line, we have standardized on desks and systems furniture along with many different models of seating. Their office seating, sit/stand desks and other ergonomic tools can be viewed at the Better Me center.
The secondary manufacturer is Herman Miller, purchased through their supplier, Sedgwick Business Interiors.
Following an extensive bidding process pricing agreements have been established by RIT Procurement Services. These vendors can be contracted on any projects with a value less than $75,000. Projects greater than $75,000 require a minimum of three competitive bids.
These manufacturers/dealers have agreed to and support the following:
- Deliver/install, clean, inspect furniture and remove cardboard and trash (this does not include remove of existing furnishings or furniture).
- Furniture design service and office space planning. Free for initial design and 1 round of revisions, hourly rate charge for additional revisions.
- Project Management
- Ergonomic Evaluation/Training
- Access to showroom demo products in addition to on-campus examples.
Tips for Purchasing Furniture
- If you are looking to add to existing furniture in your space, please reference the product tag, which can usually be found on the underside of the work surface or seat cushion, for the existing product manufacturer.
- Furniture purchases greater than $5000 require a Project Request through FMS before contacting a furniture supplier. If your space requires paint or any other construction prior to furniture install, an FMS Project Request is also needed.
- Once you have received an FMS project number and are directed to, please contact the manufacturer representative for assistance. Contact information below.
- On your Oracle requisition indicate the location, building, room number, contact person and telephone number for delivery and installation.
- Note the supplier quote number.
- Provide a desired delivery date.
- Typical lead time for furniture orders is 6 to 8 weeks from vendor receipt of PO.
- Upon delivery, please check immediately for correctness and damages. Report any discrepancies to the installer before they leave the site, and make sure the discrepancies are noted on the delivery ticket.
- Furniture is made to order and is not returnable. Once a purchase is placed with a manufacturer, it cannot be cancelled.
- Contact Facilities Management for furniture moves/removal not involving new furniture replacement by the dealer. Refer to Disposal or Removal of Existing Furniture guidelines below.
Please contact the Merkel Donohue representative for Steelcase assistance:
Or the Sedgwick Business Interiors representative for Herman Miller assistance:
Ergonomic Office Chairs and Tools
Purchases of desk chairs, sit/stand devices, monitor arms are available for purchase at the department’s discretion. The RIT Digital Den also has a sit/stand device on display.
Furniture Ancillary Products
In those instances where a department wants to purchase ancillary products can be ordered from Steelcase and Herman Miller. Pleasae conact the sales represetative noted above for assistance.
We have added the Hon and Allsteel lines of furniture to the WB Mason on-line catalog. You can purchase from WB Mason by accessing your account at the www.wbmason.com web site or contact Kristine Kavanaugh, our WB Mason sales representative.
Disposal or Removal of Existing Furniture
As part of your planning for new furniture for your department, you must plan for the removal of the existing furniture. If you have an assigned FMS project manager the project manager will be responsible for the removal of the existing furniture.
For furniture moves/removal not involving the new furniture supplier, FMS can schedule the removal of furniture from your department.
The following charges apply:
Removal of office suite
Removal of classroom chairs and/or tables (min. may apply)
Call for quote
FMS does not generally provide furniture removal. FMS will hire a moving company and charge the department for the move.