DS-2019 Request for Visiting J-1 Faculty and Researchers

Limitations on J Visas for Visiting Faculty and Visiting Scholars

RIT is certified by the US Department of State to host J-1 exchange visitors in the these non-student categories: Research Scholar, Professor, Short-Term Scholar. No J-1 scholar in these categories may not hold a tenured or tenure-track position at RIT while in J-1 status. Permissible activities include research, teaching, collaboration, observation, or some combination of those. At RIT, J-1 scholars must be hired through RIT Human Resources or approved through the Visiting Scholar policy. RIT Human Resources, in consultation with outside counsel, can advise on the suitability and costs of other options such as the H-1B or O-1 visas.

Please include language in any verbal discussions and offer letters that state: “this offer is contingent upon you successfully proving eligibility (or obtaining eligibility prior to your start date) to engage in research, teaching and/or employment by RIT.”

24-Month Bar
J-1 exchange visitors in the Research Scholar and Professor categories are subject to a 24-month bar on repeat participation in these same categories. For example, a professor who comes for one full year, and then returns home, must wait 2 years before returning to the US under a new J-1 Research Scholar or Professor program.

2-Year Home Residency Rule
Certain J-1 exchange visitors may be subject to this rule, also called 212(e), based on their field of study (and if their home country includes that specific field on their Skills List), or if the visitor receives funding from the US and/or home government. The rule must be satisfied or waived before the visitor will be eligible for H, L, or K visas, for US permanent residency, or for the ability to change status within the US.

Maximum Program Length
Research Scholars and Professors are permitted a maximum of 5 years of program participation, and Short-Term Scholars are allowed a maximum of 6 months. These program limits are "use or lose".

Please submit this form and additional documentation (mentioned below) once an offer/invite is made. Please contact iss@rit.edu with any questions.

J-1 Request Form Part 1 - To Be Completed by RIT Department

After completing form, please hit "Submit" button at end. Then, please scan and email to iss@rit.edu the following:

  1. Copy of your Dean's invite or offer letter
  2. If there is additional external financial sponsorship, please provide a copy of that agreement
  3. Copy of visitor's passport photo/name page

For reference:
A. Institute Policies & Procedures Manual Section E1.0
B. Institute Policies & Procedures Manual Section E9.0

In addition, please submit a completed English Proficiency Confirmation FormThis is required by J-1 regulations at 62.10(a)(2) before ISS can issue a DS-2019.

I hereby authorize International Student Services to process a transfer of $400 (to help defray RIT’s J-1 program administration costs and the costs of facilitating the required immigration documentation for this J-1 visitor), from RIT account number:

(Please note: some federal grant accounts may not be used for mailing costs. We recommend using a standard RIT operating account line.)

Part II - Required Biographical Information for DS-2019

(student, researcher, professor)

*Please note that tenure track positions are NOT eligible for J-1 status

**Short term = less than 6 months - cannot extend.

Accompanying Dependents

Biographical information of any accompanying spouse and/or children. Please list spouse first.

Part III - Required Department Information

Financial Support

Show source(s) and amount(s) of available support in dollar amounts from ALL sponsors (including any grant support).

We recommend there be at least $1,300/month per visitor. Same amount for the first dependent (generally spouse), and 1/2 that amount for each additional dependent (child). Funding can be a combination of personal/family funds with institutional funds (e.g. RIT salary, home university, government grant, etc.) There must be at least some funding coming from an institutional source to qualify for a J-1 visa.

Note: Please be specific in your offer letter as to whether or not RIT will be providing any benefits (health insurance, office space, etc.

Under J-1 rules, health insurance is a requirement for participation in the program. I will communicate in a letter with the DS-2019 that the Exchange Visitor is responsible for securing health insurance. Questions concerning an employee’s eligibility for RIT's health insurance, H-1b visas, or other university benefits should be directed to Human Resources.