Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Many programs at RIT consider work experience as an integral part of their program.

These experiences may include alternate work/study programs, internships, cooperative education, and practicum experiences. To be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), students must receive course credit or be in a recognized co-op program.

Applying for Curricular Practical Training

  1. Complete virtual training, Get Your CPT ASAP.
  2. Apply for a Social Security number if you do not have one. We are happy to help you with this process. Use this Social Security Request Form to request a Social Security letter from our office.
  3. Update your address in SIS. Instructions on updating your address are available.
  4. Register for your co-op or internship with your academic department in the SIS system. Please check with your department on the registration requirements for your degree program.
  5. Report your employment information to the Office of Career Services and Co-op.
  6. An International Student Services advisor must grant you permission prior to your employment start date. CPT authorization cannot be backdated. To receive a new I-20 with CPT on it, you must submit the following:
    1. Online CPT Request Form*
    2. Copy of your job offer letter that includes your full name, address of the company, start date, end date
    3. Screen shot of your registration in SIS. The registration must be for the term(s) in which you are requesting CPT.

      *Before submitting your CPT request please check the program end date on your I-20. If you are requesting CPT until a date that is after your I-20 expires, we will not be able to process your request. Please ask your academic advisor to complete a Program Extension Form for you so that your I-20 may be extended. Once this is done you may submit your CPT Request Form.

When this information is received an ISS advisor will create a new SEVIS I-20 with CPT Authorization on it. Please allow 1 week for processing.

Starting Work

You may start working when you have the I-20 with CPT authorization on it and after the CPT start date noted on the I-20.


You may do as many co-ops as your academic department requires or allows. Keep in mind, if you complete more than 364 days of CPT you will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training this degree level.