Building girls' confidence in science and math
This summer experience brings rising eighth-grade girls onto RIT's campus for a week-long program comprised of mathematical modeling projects designed to show the usefulness of math in science and everyday life. The program includes self-affirmation activities developed to build confidence in math, as well as daily recreational activities.
- Do hands-on activities in RIT's labs to help you learn how your developing math skills can lead to real world opportunities.
- Connect what you learn in your math classes at school to science activities here.
- Each year the curriculum is a different theme. In years past, participants solved a crime scene and created renewable energy from algae.
- Try a different recreational activity, such as ice skating, on RIT's campus each day.
- Make new friends and have fun!
- The SMASH Experience draws participants from Rochester and surrounding communities.
- Half of attendees attend with scholarships provided by the RIT College of Science and donors.
- Transportation on a school bus from/to downtown Rochester to/from RIT will be provided for interested SMASH Participants.