RIT to Recognize 4,000 Graduates During Commencement Weekend May 25-26
Bill Nye ‘The Science Guy’ offers keynote address
May 21, 2012
by Paul Stella
Follow RITNEWS on Twitter
As they ready to cross the stage, more than 4,000 Rochester Institute of Technology students are prepared to cross over to an exciting new phase in life’s journey.
RIT celebrates its new crop of graduates with the university’s 127th commencement. The two-day observance kicks off during Academic Convocation, which begins at 3 p.m. May 25 in RIT’s Gordon Field House and Activities Center. RIT President Bill Destler confers degrees on both undergraduate and graduate candidates at this campus-wide ceremony.
Bill Nye, scientist and beloved TV personality, provides the keynote address at Academic Convocation. Nye’s mission to foster a scientifically literate society is popular among RIT graduates, many of whom grew up watching Bill Nye the Science Guy during its original run on public television from 1992 to 1998.
Other highlights of Academic Convocation include recognition of students graduating with honors and faculty members who won outstanding teaching awards. Individual college ceremonies, where each graduate is presented his or her diploma, follow Friday’s Academic Convocation and continue through Saturday. The schedule of ceremonies is as follows:
- Golisano Institute for Sustainability, 5:30 p.m. Friday, Louise M. Slaughter Hall
- National Technical Institute for the Deaf, 7 p.m. Friday, Ritter Ice Arena
- B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Gordon Field House
- College of Science, 8 a.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- College of Applied Science and Technology, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Gordon Field House
- College of Liberal Arts, 11 a.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- Kate Gleason College of Engineering, noon Saturday, Gordon Field House
- E. Philip Saunders College of Business, 2 p.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- College of Imaging Arts and Sciences, 4 p.m. Saturday, Gordon Field House
- Center for Multidisciplinary Studies, 5 p.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- College of Health Sciences and Technology, 8 p.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
For more information on RIT’s 127th commencement activities, including a link to a live video stream of Academic Convocation, visit the university’s commencement website.