RIT to recognize 3,500 graduates during commencement weekend May 17-18
Distinguished Alum Alex Kipman, inventor of Xbox 360 Kinect, offers keynote
May 13, 2013
by Ellen Rosen
Follow Ellen Rosen on Twitter
Follow RITNEWS on Twitter
Rochester Institute of Technology kicks off its 128th annual commencement weekend at 2 p.m. Friday, May 17, with its Academic Convocation.
RIT President Bill Destler will confer more than 3,500 undergraduate and graduate degrees at this campus-wide ceremony, which takes place in the Gordon Field House and Activities Center.
Alex Kipman, a 2001 RIT graduate, now a Microsoft executive credited with inventing the Kinect system for Xbox 360 video game and Windows PCs, will deliver the keynote address. Kipman, honored this year by RIT as one of nine Distinguished Alumni, was named Inventor of the Year in 2012 by the nonprofit Intellectual Property Owners Education Foundation.
Other highlights of Academic Convocation include recognition of students graduating with honors and faculty members who won outstanding teaching awards. Individual college ceremonies, where each graduate is presented his or her diploma, follow Friday’s Academic Convocation and continue through Saturday.
The schedule of ceremonies is as follows:
- Golisano Institute for Sustainability, 4:30 p.m. Friday, Golisano Institute for Sustainability Auditorium
- College of Health Sciences and Technology, 6:30 p.m. Friday, Ritter Ice Arena
- College of Imaging Arts and Sciences, 7 p.m. Friday, Gordon Field House
- B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences, 8 a.m. Saturday, Gordon Field House
- National Technical Institute for the Deaf, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- College of Applied Science and Technology, 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Gordon Field House
- College of Science, noon Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- Kate Gleason College of Engineering, 3 p.m. Saturday, Gordon Field House
- College of Liberal Arts, 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- Center for Multidisciplinary Studies, 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Ritter Ice Arena
- Saunders College of Business, 7 p.m. Saturday, Gordon Field House
For more information on RIT’s 128th commencement activities, including a link to a live video stream of Friday’s Academic Convocation, visit the university’s commencement website.