When you remake the world,
the world tends to notice.
Don’t just take our word for it. Our reputation as one of the world’s top universities has been acknowledged by many leading college guides, industry, and internationally respected publications. As you search for the right university, consider what others have to say about RIT.
U.S. News Rankings
RIT is now among the top 100 universities in the nation, having jumped 10 places in the “National Universities” category, according to U.S. News & World Report rankings for its 2018 edition. In 2017, RIT moved into the top “National Universities” category due to its rapid increase in research and Ph.D. graduates. In 2018, RIT ranked 97 out of 311 universities in this prestigious category, which offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master’s and Ph.D. programs, and emphasize faculty research. To learn more about this historic change for RIT, visit: https://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=63388.
- More specific rankings from U.S. News
- At the undergraduate level, here are the latest rankings in U.S. News & World Report: America’s Best Colleges 2018.
- Ranked 97th in the “National Universities.”
- Tied for 39th among national universities in a national survey of “High School Counselors Top College Picks.”
- RIT was among 20 universities recognized for excellent co-operative learning and internship programs.
- RIT also ranked 41st among best value schools—“Great Schools, Great Prices.”
- RIT’s Kate Gleason College of Engineering ranked No. 61 nationally for undergraduate engineering programs among universities where the highest degree is a doctorate.
- RIT ranked 69th among “Best Colleges for Veterans.” U.S. News aims to provide military veterans and active duty service members with data on which top-ranked schools offer benefits that can help make a college education affordable.
- RIT’s Saunders College of Business was ranked No. 64 nationally among best programs for undergraduate business education.
- RIT was also cited as an “A+ school for B students.”
- Ranked 803rd internationally in the “2018 Best Global Universities” ranking, which evaluated universities in 74 countries.
- From 2012, RIT still maintains the following rankings with U.S. News:
- Ranked #62 in Physician Assistant
- Ranked #70 in Physics
- In the fine arts:
- Ranked #2 in Glass
- Ranked #8 in Metals/Jewelry
- At the graduate level, RIT is among the top colleges and universities in the nation for master’s programs in fine arts, engineering, and business, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2019 edition of “America’s Best Graduate Schools.” RIT is consistently ranked among America’s best graduate schools.
- Saunders College of Business ranked 91st among the nation's best graduate schools for business
- Saunders College of Business ranked 120th for "Best Online busienss programs (non-MBA)"
- Saunders College of Business ranked 73rd among the nation's top MBA programs for full-time students
- Saunders College of Business ranked 141st for part-time MBA programs
- Saunders College of Business ranked 31st among the nation’s best online MBA programs (2016)
- Saunders College of Business ranked #22 for “Best Online MBA Programs for Veterans”
- B. Thomas Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences ranked 40th among the nation's best online computer information technology programs
- Ranked 68th among the nation's best computer science graduate programs
- Kate Gleason College of Engineering ranked 75th in engineering schools offering a doctorate
- Kate Gleason College of Engineering No. 60 for “Best Online Graduate Program in Engineering”
- Ranked 43rd for the best online graduate engineering programs
- College of Health Sciences and Technology ranked #40 for the physician assistant program
- Ranked 33rd among universities offering graduate-level studies in fine arts (MFA)
- Ranked #4 in graduate studies in Photography (MFA)
- Ranked #8 in graduate studies in Industrial Design (MFA)
- Ranked #12 in graduate studies in Multimedia/Visual Communications (MFA)
- School of Physics and Astronomy ranked 69th among the nation’s best physics graduate programs
- At the undergraduate level, here are the latest rankings in U.S. News & World Report: America’s Best Colleges 2018.
- Listed in 2018 Princeton Review's “Best 382 Colleges” and “Best Northeastern Colleges”
- RIT featured in the 2017 edition of Colleges That Create Futures: 50 Schools That Launch Careers by Going Beyond the Classroom.
- RIT’s Saunders College of Business named to The Princeton Review’s “The Best 296 Business Schools” in 2015 edition.
- Included in The Princeton Review’s “Guide to 375 Green Colleges: 2017 Edition” (seventh consecutive years)
- RIT is recognized for being one of the nation’s best colleges for students seeking a superb education with great career preparation and at an affordable price (2016 edition: Colleges That Pay You Back: The 200 Schools That Give You the Best Bang for Your Tuition Buck)
- More specific rankings from Princeton Review
- Ranked fifth nationally for “Top Schools for Video Game Design for 2018”—undergraduate programs
- Ranked seventh nationally for “Top Schools for Video Game Design for 2018”—graduate programs
- Ranked seventh nationally for Career Services in 2012
- Saunders College of Business at RIT ranked eighth on The Princeton Review’s “Top 25 Online MBA Programs for 2018”
- RIT is ranked among the Top 25 “Most Connected Campuses” for its computing and information technology resources
American Indian Science and Engineering Society
For the seventh year in a row, RIT has been listed as one of the “Top 200 Colleges for Native Americans” in the Society’s Winds of Change magazine. The Top 200 List identifies colleges and universities where American Indian students attend in significant numbers, and where the campus community, Native American programs, and academic support services enable high levels of success for American Indian students.
American Institute for Economic Research
- Rochester, N.Y., is ranked as the eighth best college town in a quantitative ranking released by the American Institute for Economic Research. The rankings were chosen from an analysis of 222 metropolitan statistical areas with student populations of 15,000 or more and shows Rochester as the No. 8 mid-sized metropolitan area for college students.
- The Rochester region is named No. 18 nationally among the top college destinations for the “college experience.”
Animation Career Review
- RIT’s School of Film and Animation ranked No. 10 nationally (2018)
- RIT ranked number 2 among the Top 50 Game Design Schools and Colleges in the U.S. in 2018
RIT ranks third nationally as one of the key schools companies prefer when recruiting and hiring in critical skill areas for the aerospace and defense industries, according to Aviation Week’s annual Workforce Study. RIT graduates are recruited by a number of aerospace firms and defense-related organizations including Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrup Grumman, Sikorsky Aircraft, General Electric Aviation, General Dynamics, Cherry Aerospace, Impact Technologies, ITT, BorgWarner and NAVAIR. In the past several years, commercial aerospace corporations such as SpaceX have also hired RIT graduates. Employers consistently note the quality of RIT students and the academic preparation received in academic programs within the engineering, engineering technology and computing areas.
Best Colleges Online
RIT’s student incubator, the Simone Center for Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship, ranked #1 in the nation. (2018)
- RIT ranked the top online college in New York state
- RIT ranked 11th in its ranking of Best Online Colleges 2015
- RIT’s hospitality and tourism programs are among the “20 best tourism degree programs” in the nation
- RIT ranked No. 40 for the “Best Online Master’s in Engineering Programs.”
- RIT was ranked among the best computer science and engineering schools in the 2015 Business Insider ratings. The university placed 14th in the Northeast and 36th in the U.S. RIT was recognized for its comprehensive preparation of graduates for today’s workforce, particularly in important STEM fields—science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- RIT’s Kate Gleason College of Engineering ranked among “The World's Best Engineering Schools” in 2012. Ranked 27th globally overall. The rankings were based on surveys with technology companies.
- RIT’s School of Design is ranked 11th among “The World’s 25 Best Design Schools” in a 2012 survey.
- RIT Dubai ranked 6th among the “15 Most Unique College Campuses In The World.” (2014)
- Saunders College of Business ranked No. 79, with a job placement rate of No. 24, in Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2017 MBA rankings of best U.S. business schools.
- Saunders College of Business ranked 91st among The Best Undergraduate Business Schools 2014
- Saunders College of Business undergraduate program at RIT received high standings in the Bloomberg BusinessWeek survey of The Best Undergraduate Business Schools by Specialty 2013. The management information systems (MIS) program in Saunders College is now considered one of the more elite degree specialties in the U.S., and ranked No. 14 out of 123 business schools in the nation. Entrepreneurship at Saunders College ranked high at No. 21, marketing at No. 26, corporate strategy at No. 32, and international business at No. 52.
- Among top design schools in the world in BusinessWeek's initial Best Design Schools survey
Center for World University Rankings
RIT was named among the top 1,000 out of 25,000+ degree-granting institutions of higher education worldwide by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR). This ranking places RIT among the top 3 percent of all universities in the world. CWUR publishes the only global university ranking measuring the quality of education and training of students as well as the prestige of the faculty members and the quality of their research without relying on surveys and university data submissions. CWUR provides the largest academic ranking of global universities.
In The CEO Magazine’s 2017 Global MBA Rankings, RIT’s Saunders College of Business placed:
- Tier One: North American MBA Rankings
- Seventh place in the Global Online MBA Rankings
- Tier One: 20th place in the Global Executive MBA Rankings
The Chronicle of Higher Education
RIT is recognized by The Chronicle of Higher Education on the publication's 2012 list of “Great Colleges to Work.” RIT was also recognized as a great workplace by the publication in 2008, 2009, and 2011.
- In 2018, College Choice ranks RIT No. 7 nationally for the best master’s degree in computer forensics.
- In 2018, College Choice ranks RIT No. 3 nationally for the best master’s degree in animation.
- The College Choice of the Best Ultrasound Technician Schools ranked RIT’s BS in diagnostic medical sonography No. 10 on a list of the top 25 schools that offer four-year programs in ultrasound.
- In 2017, College Choice ranks RIT No. 33 nationally for best interior design program.
College Factual/USA Today
College factual is the college rankings data provider for USA Today College Guide 2018.
- Ranked #5 in Computer Software and Application
- Ranked #7 in Computer and Information Sciences
- Ranked # 9 in engineering-related fields
- Ranked #10 in Management Information Systems (Saunders College of Business)
- Ranked #10 in Design and Applied Arts
- Ranked #17 in Film, Video and Photographic Arts
- Ranked #42 for Criminal Justice
- Ranked #53 for "Best Schools for Veterans"
College Sustainability Report Card
Selected RIT as a “Campus Sustainability Leader”
Design Intelligence magazine
- Industrial Design graduate program ranked No. 2 — “America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools 2012”
- Industrial Design undergraduate program ranked No. 3 — “America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools 2012”
The Fiske Guide to Colleges 2019
- Cited for co-op program, computing, art and design, engineering, entrepreneurship, and access and support services for the deaf and hard of hearing.
- RIT was also recognized for its study abroad programs and global campuses in China, Croatia, Kosovo, and Dubai.
- Listed in Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Colleges
- RIT recognized by Forbes on its 2017 list of “America's Best Midsize Employers.” RIT earned 36th place overall on the list of 301 companies and is the sixth-highest ranked university of the 33 universities listed.
- Three RIT students won Fulbright Scholarships for the 2015-2016 academic year. The Fulbright program is the largest exchange program in the country and provides funds for American students to live in another country to teach English, conduct research, or earn a graduate degree.
- RIT also had 40 international students from 25 countries attend the university this past year through the Fulbright Foreign Student Program. These Fulbrights even started their own club recently, the Fulbright Scholars Association.
Top 25 Universities to work for in 2014 (RIT, #23)
Global Gaming League
Ranked third in the first annual Top Gaming Colleges survey
In 2015, four undergraduate students won prestigious Barry M. Goldwater Scholarships. Each student receives $7,500 for the upcoming academic year. There are only seven other universities in the nation with four Goldwater scholars.
Great Value Colleges
Ranked 36th for “The Most Technologically Advanced Universities” in the world
Ranked #5 for “The Nerdiest Colleges,” 2014
INSIGHT Into Diversity
- 2018 Diversity Champion. INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine recognized RIT as a “Diversity Champion,” one of the first colleges and universities in the nation to receive the designation. Diversity Champions exemplify an unyielding commitment to diversity and inclusion throughout their campus communities, across academic programs, and at the highest administrative levels. RIT was also a Diversity Champion in 2017 and 2016.
- Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award for successful efforts in the areas of campus diversity and inclusion (2017, 2016, 2015, 2014).
Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
RIT ranks among the country’s best values in private colleges, according to Kiplinger’s Personal Finance 2018 edition. RIT ranked 91st on the list of private universities.
- RIT is among the universities included in rankings by Money magazine’s: “727 Best Colleges for Your Money.”
- RIT also ranked on a specialty list: “The 50 Colleges that Add the Most Value.”
RIT is named No. 1 among the “Best Online Colleges in New York” in 2015.
Saunders College of Business at RIT ranked fourth in the “Top 10 Most Social Media Friendly Online MBA Schools”
- Listed in two categories of the magazine's “A-List Colleges”
- Top Work/Study Programs
- Great Internship Opportunities
Poets & Quants
- Saunders College of Business is ranked #100 for U.S. MBA programs.
- Online Executive MBA program in Saunders College of Business ranked No. 2 in the category of career outcomes for graduates
- No. 13 online MBA program.
Recognized as one of America's 100 Greenest Universities.
RIT’s Saunders College of Business is ranked No. 28 as a top financial engineering school for its computational finance master’s degree program in 2017 TFE Times rankings.
Ranked the No. 1 “Geekiest Campus,” 2014
RIT’s Saunders College of Business named one of the top 10 colleges for a degree in management information systems (MIS)
RIT’s Saunders College online EMBA program ranked #29 for “Best Value Online MBA Programs”
The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education
World University Rankings: Top universities in the United States, RIT ranked No. 130
Ranked #46 nationally in Master’s University category, 2015.