When you remake the world,
the world tends to notice.
Don’t just take our word for it. Our reputation as one of the world’s top universities has been acknowledged by many leading college guides, industry, and internationally respected publications. As you search for the right university, consider what others have to say about RIT.
U.S. News Rankings
For more than 25 years, RIT has been recognized for educational quality and value in U.S. News & World Report. RIT has traditionally been listed among the top 10 regional universities since the magazine started its annual ranking of colleges in 1983.
- More specific rankings from U.S. News
- At the undergraduate level, RIT is consistently listed among the top 10 regional universities in the North. Here are the latest rankings in U.S. News & World Report: America’s Best Colleges 2013.
- Ranked seventh in the “Best Universities – Master’s (North region)” category in the 2013 report. RIT also received the second highest peer assessment score, which is a survey of presidents, provosts and deans from other universities judging a school’s academic excellence.
- In the “Great Schools, Great Prices” category, RIT ranked third among master’s universities in the North.
- In the “Focus on Student Success” category, RIT was listed as one of only 12 colleges nationally recognized for excellence in the “Internships” listing.
- Among the best programs for undergraduate business, RIT’s E. Philip Saunders College of Business ranked 56th.
- RIT is also in the top 64 undergraduate engineering programs among universities where the highest degree is a doctorate.
- From 2012, RIT still maintains the following rankings with U.S. News:
- Ranked #62 in Physician Assistant
- Ranked #70 in Physics
- In the fine arts:
- Ranked #2 in Glass
- Ranked #8 in Metals/Jewelry
- At the graduate level, RIT is among the top colleges and universities in the nation for master’s programs in fine arts, engineering, and business, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2013 edition of “America’s Best Graduate Schools.” RIT is consistently ranked among America’s best graduate schools.
- Ranked 27th among universities offering graduate-level studies in fine arts (MFA)
- Ranked #6 in graduate studies in Photography (MFA)
- Ranked #8 in graduate studies in Industrial Design (MFA)
- Ranked #12 in graduate studies in Multimedia/Visual Communications (MFA)
- E. Philip Saunders College of Business’s master’s programs ranked in the top 100 business schools
- Gleason College of Engineering ranked among the top 90 engineering schools offering a doctorate
- Listed in 2013 Princeton Review's "Best 377 Colleges" and "Best Northeastern Colleges"
- RIT’s E. Philip Saunders College of Business Named to Princeton Review’s ‘The Best 296 Business Schools’ in 2013 edition.
- RIT is included in The Princeton Review’s Guide to 322 Green Colleges: 2012 Edition
- More specific rankings from Princeton Review
- Ranked seventh nationally for Career Services in 2012
- Ranked second nationally for "Top Schools for Video Game Design for 2012" - graduate programs
- Ranked sixth nationally for "Top Schools for Video Game Design for 2012" - undergraduate programs
- RIT is ranked among the Top 25 "Most Connected Campuses" for its computing and information technology resources
American Institute for Economic Research
Rochester, N.Y. is ranked as the eighth best college town in a quantitative ranking released by the American Institute for Economic Research.
The rankings were chosen from an analysis of 222 metropolitan statistical areas with student populations of 15,000 or more and shows Rochester as the No. 8 mid-sized metropolitan area for college students.
RIT ranks third nationally as one of the key schools companies prefer when recruiting and hiring in critical skill areas for the aerospace and defense industries, according to Aviation Week’s annual Workforce Study. RIT graduates are recruited by a number of aerospace firms and defense-related organizations including Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrup Grumman, Sikorsky Aircraft, General Electric Aviation, General Dynamics, Cherry Aerospace, Impact Technologies, ITT, BorgWarner and NAVAIR. In the past several years, commercial aerospace corporations such as SpaceX have also hired RIT graduates. Employers consistently note the quality of RIT students and the academic preparation received in academic programs within the engineering, engineering technology and computing areas.
Best Colleges Online
RIT’s student incubator, the Simone Center for Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship, ranked No. 1 in the nation.
RIT's Kate Gleason College of Engineering ranked among "The World's Best Engineering Schools" in 2012. Ranked 27th globally overall. The rankings were based on surveys with technology companies.
RIT’s School of Design is ranked 11th among “The World’s 25 Best Design Schools” in a 2012 survey.
- Among top design schools in the world in BusinessWeek's initial Best Design Schools survey
The Chronicle of Higher Education
RIT is recognized by The Chronicle of Higher Education on the publication's list of "Great Colleges to Work For 2012." RIT was also recognized as a great workplace by the publication in 2008, 2009 and 2011.
College Sustainability Report Card
- Selected RIT as a "Campus Sustainability Leader"
Design Intelligence magazine
- Industrial Design undergraduate program ranked No. 3 — “America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools 2012.”
- Industrial Design graduate program ranked No. 2 — “America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools 2012.”
Diversity efforts recognition
Cited by The American Indian Science and Engineering Society as one of America's Top 200 Colleges for Native Americans (in its 2010-2011 College Guide). Cited by Black Issues in Higher Education, Hispanic Outlook (both 2003) and Winds of Change (2010) for our effort to recruit and retain ethnically diverse faculty.
The Fiske Guide to Colleges 2013
- One of only 21 private universities nationally ranked a "Best Buy", based on academic ratings and price.
- Includes RIT among more than 300 of the country's most interesting colleges and universities.
- Also rated a "Best Buy" in the 2012 edition.
- Listed in Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Colleges
Global Gaming League
- RIT was ranked third in the first annual Top Gaming Colleges survey
Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- RIT was ranked as a “Best Values in Private Colleges 2011-12” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine.
The E. Philip Saunders College of Business at RIT ranked fourth in the “Top 10 Most Social Media Friendly Online MBA Schools.”
- Listed in two categories of the magazine's "A-List Colleges
- Top Work/Study Programs
- Great Internship Opportunities
- Recognized as one of America's 100 Greenest Universities
RIT is recognized by SuperScholar in its first Smart Choice ranking of online MBA degree programs of 2012.
The Online Executive MBA program offered by the E. Philip Saunders College of Business was awarded the No. 15 position. The ranking was designed as a tool to help prospective business students make a smart choice about where to invest their time and money in earning their MBA.
- Ranked #22 nationally in Master’s category