Maintenance Requests

We perform maintenance for RIT owned apartments, repairs for residence hall furniture and appliances, and service requests for Auxiliary Services' departments. Our professional and trained staff provides quality service and while keeping safety a top priority.

Our network of facility partners gives us the flexibility to support students by providing a peace-of-mind service that supports a living environment which aids in student success. 

Who to Contact

Auxiliary Facilities Requests

Housing Facilities maintains: 

  • Residence Hall furniture, microfridges, and laundry machines
  • Global Village, Greek Circle, Perkins Green, Riverknoll, University Commons, and 175 Jefferson

Submit a Request

Facilities Management Services (FMS) Requests

FMS maintains:

  • Residence Hall bathrooms, bedrooms, common areas, elevators, kitchens, lounges, and stairwells
  • Submit a work order at

RIT Inn Requests

The RIT Inn maintains all rooms at the RIT Inn. Submit maintenance requests by calling (585) 359-1800 or email

Emergency Requests

For an emergency after hours, please contact public safety at (585) 475-2853.

Emergency Examples

  • Electrical Issues - No power in apartment
  • Plumbing Issues - Water leaks, no hot water, floods, clogged toilet, broken water pipes, flooded basement
  • No Heat - In apartment
  • Emergency Lock Change
  • 1st Floor Window is Broken

Non-emergency requests should be submitted as a Maintenance Request

  • Air Conditioner is not working at night
  • Washer/Dryer
  • Garbage Disposal
  • Microwave
  • Insects/Pests

Maintenance Request Process for Housing Facilities

  1. Requests are submitted through the myLife portal. A resident must authenticate into myLife to submit a request.
  2. Once a request is submitted, you will receive an automated email confirmation. We aim to process requests within 24 hours during business days. Requests received after 5 p.m. will be processed the following business day.
  3. Request priority depends on the severity of the issue and other work in the queue. Login to the myLife portal to see the status of all maintenance requests.

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact the RIT Service Center by calling 585-475-5000 or submit a ticket at 

Yes, please submit another maintenance request in the myLife portal.

The primary resource to submit a maintenance request is through the myLife portal. Please direct your student to submit a maintenance request through the myLife portal.

Resident owned air conditioners are only permitted in Perkins Green & Riverknoll and only if installed by RIT Housing. A resident must request an air conditioner installation by submitting an Air Conditioner Request on the myLife portal. The student submitting the request agrees to pay a non-refundable fee of $125 per season, per air conditioner unit for installation, removal, and utility expenses. The fee will be placed on the student’s account once the air conditioner unit is installed. If it is desired that the fee is shared with roommates, the student submitting the request is responsible for collecting the funds from roommates. Air conditioners may not exceed 5000 BTUs.

Air conditioners not approved and installed by RIT Housing will be removed.

Residents may check the status of a maintenance request on the myLife portal.

If you are not home, a pink slip will be left behind by the mechanic letting you know if the work was completed.

Mechanics assigned to requests depends on the area and coverage. For a full listing of RIT Housing Facilities staff, view our directory.

Maintenance requests submitted after 5 p.m. will be processed the next business day. If submitted on a weekend, it will be processed on the next business day, usually Monday. For emergency issues after 5 p.m. or on weekends and holidays, please contact public safety at (585) 475-2853.

RIT Housing is required to go into every apartment to check the fire extinguishers and safety systems, along with ensuring that the apartment does not have any fire violations.

OFPC is the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control. Inspections are performed by OFPC on every college campus and check for code violations.

If you have more questions, contact Housing.