End of Year
End of Year
RIT's Official Move-Out Day is May 13, 2023
Thank you for choosing to live in RIT housing. We hope you have a wonderful summer and wish you safe travels.
All students in RIT housing are encouraged to move out of RIT housing 24 hours after their last exam. All students in RIT housing must move out no later than Saturday, May 13, 2023, at 10:00 a.m. Graduating seniors and those working graduation have until Sunday, May 14, 2023, at noon to check out of RIT housing. RIT’s official move-out date is May 13, 2023.
To assist students with the move out process, large gray moving carts will be available for sign-out on the first floor of both Kate Gleason Hall and Ellingson Hall. Please note personal items not removed from your room or apartment will be considered abandoned and may be disposed of in accordance with NY State Abandoned Property Rules.
Failure to Move Out on Scheduled Move-out Date
RIT Housing will charge a student $50 per day for each day beyond the contract-end date (move-out date) that they fail to vacate.
Visitors to Campus
Any individual who assists a student during move-out must abide by all RIT policies and expectations.
Return Your Housing to Move-in Condition
RIT Housing inspects all rooms, apartments, and suites upon the student vacating. Review each section below to ensure you complete the necessary steps to return your housing back to move-in condition.
The condition of the room, apartment, or suite, including all furnishings and fixtures, and any damage, which is determined by RIT Housing, to have occurred during the student's occupancy will be documented by RIT Housing. Additional fees may be assessed for damage and/or failure to follow this procedure (see section 5.09 of the 2022-2023 Terms & Conditions).
- Personal belongings should be removed from the room, apartment, or suite; belongings not removed will be considered abandoned and will be discarded at the student’s expense (see section 5.09 and section 15.01 of the 2022-2023 Terms and Conditions)
- Remove all trash and unwanted items.
- Ionic air purifier units are to be left in the room at end of year move-out. They are RIT property and are used to support a healthy environment.
- Storage is not allowed in RIT housing. Make arrangements for off-campus storage.
- RIT’s official move-out date is May 13, 2023. Please note personal items not removed from your room or apartment will be considered abandoned and may be discarded in accordance with NY State abandoned property procedures.
- Furniture existing at move-in must be in the room, apartment, or suite and in good shape.
- Dressers and desks should be thoroughly clean inside and out.
- Empty out microfridge
- Unplug the unit
- Clean the microwave, refrigerator, and freezer
- Leave the door open before you leave
- Walls/doors/door frames must be washed and any black marks, dirt, and grease removed.
- Windows must be washed. Wash the interior sills and window groove wells. If there is a sliding glass door, clean the glass and the door grooves.
- Tile/linoleum floors must be thoroughly cleaned. Clean in the corners and around edges. Do not wax.
- Carpeted floors must have all items removed from the floor. Vacuum under and around all furniture.
- Closets/pantry/storage areas must be cleaned thoroughly. Vacuum floors and wipe down shelves.
- Window blinds must be thoroughly dusted.
- Shower/sinks/fixtures/countertops must be cleaned thoroughly. Clean under sinks. Remove soap film from shower walls.
- Shower curtains must be cleaned or replaced.
- The toilet must be cleaned thoroughly, removing all stains inside the bowl. Clean around base and tank.
- Mirrors/medicine cabinet must be cleaned inside and out. Clean the mirror with a glass cleaner. Clean the inside of the cabinet.
- Refrigerator must be thoroughly cleaned inside and out.
- The stove must be cleaned. Clean the top burner plates, broiler, and oven. Clean and remove all burnt food and grease throughout the oven. Clean under stovetop and the drip pans under the burners.
- Range hoods and the light fixtures above the stove must be cleaned until they are free of grease.
- Cupboards must be cleaned thoroughly inside and out.
To check out of the following RIT housing: Residence Halls, Global Village, Riverknoll, Perkins Green, University Commons, Greek Circle, you must return your key to RIT Housing*. The date you return your key is your recorded check-out date. A labeled key return envelope will be distributed to all students for use by the first week of May.
*Key drop box locations: Grace Watson Hall and Global Village Post Office
- Each student will receive a key return envelope. If the envelope is lost before you move out, you can fill one out when you return your key.
- Keys can be returned to the RIT Housing Office in Grace Watson Hall during business hours 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or 24/7 at an RIT Housing key drop box, located in Grace Watson Hall outside of the RIT Housing Office or at the Global Village post office near the Shop One entrance.
- Place your key(s) and/or access card in the white return envelope. Envelopes can be found at the RIT Housing office or at the key drop box location in the Global Village post office.
- Students in Global Village 405 who do not have keys are still required to fill out a white key return envelope.
- If you lose the pre-labeled envelope, fill out the necessary information and sign the envelope.
- RIT will charge a $150 lock change fee to students who fail to return their keys when vacating housing. Keys that are mailed back after the move-out date will not be accepted.
- In the event that a housing key is lost or stolen, it must be reported to RIT Housing. A lock change will be completed. The charge for a lock change is $150.
- If your housing assignment uses access cards and not physical keys, failure to complete a key return envelope upon move-out will result in an improper check-out charge of $75.
Students living at 175 Jefferson and the RIT Inn must return their key to the front desk of the facility. The date you return your key is your recorded check-out date.
The campus shuttle and the RIT Inn shuttle will be extended through Monday, May 15 so the students at the RIT Inn and 175 who are moving to campus that day for summer move-in have transportation.
To check out of APEX you must return the items below to the APEX leasing office no later than Saturday, May 13 between the hours of noon and 5 p.m.
- All keys
- Parking decal
- Pool pass
- Access card
- Forwarding address card
Apex will send you instructions on how to check-out and clean. Please read and follow the procedures. Any charges applied due to damage, trash or items left behind, or improper cleaning will be placed on your RIT student account.
You will also receive directions from RIT Housing on how to complete a self check-out using the myLife portal. This will inform the RIT Housing staff that you have successfully moved out.
Maintenance and Damages
- Apartment/suite maintenance requests can be submitted at mylife.rit.edu.
- Residence Hall work orders can be submitted at facilities.rit.edu.
- The information in the below bullet points can be found in section 5.09 of the 2022-2023 terms and conditions.
- RIT will charge a student responsible for the damage a fee equal to the cost to repair or rectify any damage to RIT housing. If the responsible student cannot be determined, all co-residents will be jointly and individually liable.
- RIT will charge a student the cost of removing their abandoned property. If the responsible student cannot be determined, all co-residents on contract during the academic year will be charged for the removal of abandoned items.
- Charges assessed and totaled after the expiration of a student’s housing contract constitute a debt payable by the student immediately.