Study Abroad For Art & Design Students
- Saving a few of your free electives, studio electives, art history electives or professional electives to take abroad will provide you with more flexibility of program options.
Strong art and design coursework is typically found in Italy, France, Spain and Denmark - however you are not limited to these locations!
CAD Study Abroad Info Sheet – Highlights major/college specific study abroad information such as the best time to go and popular programs.
- If you’re interested in one of the programs highlighted, login to the Compass (application database), click on the ‘Search Programs’ tab and type in the program name in the keyword box to learn more and start an application.
- Remember that this tool is a starting point as you explore programs and you are not restricted to studying abroad on the programs listed on these sheets.
- Don’t see a program you’re interested in on the sheet? Do a Compass search to expand your options (choose your field of study from the drop down list).
CAD Study Abroad Pathway - Developed by CAD to help students in each major identify an ideal time to study abroad. If the suggested time frame for your major doesn’t work for you, work with your academic and study abroad advisors to determine an alternative time frame.
The College of Art & Design (CAD) offers faculty-led study abroad programs designed, developed and led by CAD faculty. The travel portion of these programs are usually shorter in length (between one to five weeks) taking place over summer, winter break or spring break.
These upcoming CAD Faculty-Led Programs are currently accepting applications:
|Photography in Cuba||Havana, Cuba||Spring/Spring Break||Faculty Directors: Denis Defbaugh (email@example.com); Jennifer Poggi (firstname.lastname@example.org).|
Study Abroad Scholarships for Art & Design Students
- RIT School of Design Study Abroad Scholarship
Awarded to a 2nd (sophomore) or 3rd year (junior) School of Design undergraduate student enrolled in a study abroad experience during Spring, Summer or Fall semester. Email Peter Byrne, School of Design Administrative Chair, for more information, application instructions and deadlines. (deadline is typically in early March).
- RIT Education Abroad Travel Grant
Awarded to students going on RIT Global Campus, exchange or faculty-led programs. You will be able to “opt-in” for this scholarship consideration as part of your application.
- For many more scholarships and fellowships for study abroad use the scholarship search tool available at fellowships.rit.edu
CAD Global Ambassadors
Study Abroad Global Ambassadors are returned CAD study abroad students who can answer any questions you may have from a student perspective – feel free to reach out to them via email or social media.
|Deztiny DiMeo||Graphic Design||Syracuse Academy in Sicily, Italy (SAI)||email@example.com|
|Ashley Casimir||Interior Design||Social Impact Design in Haiti (RIT Faculty-Led)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Additional International Opportunities
These highlighted international programs and fellowships include options for undergraduate students or after graduation opportunities.
- Artist Immersion Program - art and design program which hosts short-term courses and artist residencies around the world (not for academic credit).
- American-Scandinavian Foundation Fellowship - funding to pursue a post-graduate creative project in Scandanavia for up to one year.
- Mortimer Hays-Brandeis Traveling Fellowship - funding for upcoming or recent graduates to complete an independent art or creative project abroad.
- Fulbright Fellowship (U.S. Student Program) - funding for upcoming or recent graduates to complete an independent art or creative project abroad.
Search for more fellowship opportunities at email@example.com