Financial Aid FAQ


I get tuition benefits from my employer, but it doesn’t cover all of my tuition charges. Can I apply for financial aid to cover the rest?

Yes, you may apply for other forms of financial aid (usually in the form of student loans) as long as the total of your financial aid resources doesn’t exceed your annual cost of attendance.


I plan on using military or veterans benefits for my education expenses. Whom should I notify?

For information on resources for military personnel, please visit our website at If you have questions, please contact RIT’s veterans benefits specialist at 585.475.6641.


Can I apply for scholarships?

Yes and no. You may not apply for RIT-granted scholarships because of the special pricing already given to online Executive MBA students. However, you may certainly pursue outside scholarships. These can be located on free, reputable scholarship search engines (like the ones provided in the Scholarships & Grants section of the RIT financial aid website:


I filed my FAFSA weeks ago. Why haven’t I heard about my financial aid eligibility?

You do need to be formally admitted before the RIT Financial Aid Office will prepare your financial aid package. If you are admitted and still haven’t heard, check your SAR (Student Aid Report) to be sure you released the FAFSA data using RIT’s federal school code- 002806.


How much can I borrow in federal student loans?

Graduate Students can borrow a maximum of $20,500/year through the Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan. There is another federal loan program called the Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate Students that is an option in addition to the unsubsidized loan. Once your FAFSA is processed, the RIT Financial Aid Office will advise you on your specific eligibility. More information about the annual borrowing limits and terms of federal student loans can be found on our website:


I was told I’m eligible for student loans? What do I do next? Do I have other paperwork to complete?

The three things needed to secure the federal loan that has been offered to you are:

a.  A Signed Award Letter

b.  An Entrance Interview

c.  A Master Promissory Note

The RIT Office of Financial Aid will advise you if additional documents are needed.

More information can be found here:


How can I check the status of my financial aid?

You will find valuable information on the self-service financial aid portal at After you log in with your RIT computer account and password, click on the “Financial Aid and Scholarships” tab to access your financial aid letter.


Do I have to do any additional paperwork if I would like to borrow a graduate PLUS loan?

Students can view and pay invoices using RIT’s e-services system on the Student Financial Services billing website: . If you have additional questions, please contact Student Financial Services or e-mail


Do I have to re-apply for financial aid at any point?

The financial aid year begins in July and ends with June. So if your academic studies extend past the Spring semester, you will need to reapply by submitting the subsequent year’s FAFSA.


I have been in repayment on previously borrowed student loans. Can I go into deferment?

To manage prior federal loans, go to the federal loan website at They have helpful tools to manage your loans no matter where you are in the borrowing process. If you don’t know how to contact the servicer(s) of your federal loans, you can locate their contact information by logging on to the National Student Loan Data System 9). If you need to provide enrollment verification to your servicer(s), you may do that on the RIT Registrar’s self-service web page at