We are excited about your acceptance to RIT and look forward to meeting you when you arrive on campus.

We realize that it can be overwhelming to plan for an extended trip overseas to study. Therefore, we encourage you to read the information provided on our website and to contact our office if you have questions.

Paying the I-901 SEVIS Fee

The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires all F-1 and J-1 visa applicants to pay a I-901 SEVIS fee in addition to the visa application fee that is charged by the US Embassy/Consulate. The DHS requires this fee to fund the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System or SEVIS. This is not an RIT fee; the US Government requires it.

All F-1 and J-1 applicants must pay the SEVIS fee once per SEVIS ID number. Please keep a copy of your payment confirmation for your records.

Please note that J-2 dependents and F-2 dependents do not have to pay the fee.

Please review the current rate and instructions on how to pay your SEVIS fee.

  • You must pay the SEVIS fee at least three business days before you visit the US Embassy/Consulate for your F-1 or J-1 visa appointment.
  • If you are Canadian, you must pay the SEVIS fee before you reach the US port of entry/border by one of the methods described on the above website.
  • RIT recommends that you use the electronic option to pay your fee to ensure timely processing

The US Embassy/Consulate requires you to provide proof of payment to have your appointment. The proof of payment is the receipt that you will receive after you pay the fee.

Obtaining your Visa

For the most current information, please go to Travel.State.Gov.


Credit cards are widely used in the US and you will be able to use them for most charges. Some locations do still use cash. When coming to the US, we recommend that you carry at least $50 in US $1 bills, and coins (preferably quarters), just in case a location does not take credit cards or for unexpected expenses upon arrival. For security reasons, we do not recommend carrying large quantities of cash. Travelers must declare if they are carrying more than $10,000 USD in cash in to the US.

Immunization Requirements

For the most current information on required immunizations, go to Student Health Center Immunizations.

Health Insurance

All international students registered at RIT are automatically enrolled in the RIT Aetna Student Health Plan (unless otherwise exempted by RIT or on H-1B visas).

  • Your coverage is activated by your registration status on a semi-annual basis. You will see your insurance charge on your student account each fall and spring.
  • The insurance plan coverage includes benefits for medical evacuation and repatriation.
  • You must provide insurance coverage for your dependents. You may enroll them (spouse and children from 30 days of age to 19 years) for the same coverage you have.
  • Eligible international students in sponsored programs, that include qualified medical insurance, are exempt from RIT's insurance. RIT's Undergraduate Admissions and Graduate Enrollment Services Offices will flag exempt students. These students will not be enrolled automatically.

For additional information, go to Student Health Insurance

Waiver Requests

Waivers are granted under very limited circumstances. You can ask RIT's insurance agent, Gallagher Student Health, to waive (cancel) your RIT Health Insurance by completing an International Student Insurance Waiver Form. You can use this form before the start of the semester, or, during the first 30 days after classes begin.

If you miss that deadline, it may be too late for our insurance agent to cancel your insurance coverage. If unusual circumstances prevented you from submitting your waiver, submit a Student Late Waiver Request Form. The Late Waiver form should only be used after the 30 days have passed. We will review your request and get back to you.

Contact Gallagher Student Health for more details.

Additional Insurance

Information on property insurance and dental insurance for students is available on RIT’s Global Risk Management Services website.


Please visit the International Student Orientation site for the latest information.

Housing Options

Please visit our Living in Rochester page for more information on housing options.