Newsletter August 2021
News and Deadlines
Returning Student Move-In
Returning student Move-In in this weekend—Aug. 20-22. Students returning to RIT Housing should have already selected a Move-In appointment time; these staggered time slots to ensure students and families have adequate time to unload vehicles and transport items to their rooms. Please visit the Move-In Fall 2021 website for details and instructions. Expected weather may cause some delays for students moving in. Please be patient if our staff needs to work through any weather delays.
Encourage your student to check out FallFest events on Aug. 26-29. FallFest kicks off fall semester with a variety of activities that introduce students to the many engagement opportunities at RIT. 2021 events include:
- Tigers Activities Fair-an opportunity for students to learn about the many clubs at organizations at RIT.
- Grocery Bingo-students can enjoy the classic game with opportunities to win baskets of groceries
- Into the ROC-learn about the history of the Erie Canal on the first Into the ROC of the year
- Rochester Public Market Shuttle-a free ride downtown where students can shop for fresh produce, ethnic delicacies, and much more at the Rochester Public Market.
- Fall Fest Carnival-free activities, games, and food.
- FallFest Dance Party-an outdoor dance party with a DJ and glow sticks
Students can find all Fall Fest activities and details on CampusGroups.
Second Year Experience
We’re excited to welcome back our second year Tigers with special invitations to RIT fall traditions-with some extra highlights just for second-year students-to engage in life on campus and meet fellow students. Event highlights include:
- Indoor rock climbing at the Red Barn on special second-year free climb nights
- Visit the Tiger Activities Fair 30 minutes early to learn about the clubs on campus
- Learn about the Erie Canal on an Into the ROC experience
- Discuss the benefits and limitations of starting college during COVID-19 at Gray Matters
- Check out one of Rochester’s biggest attractions with the Public Market Bus (first 20 students get a $5 token to spend at the Market)
- Cheer on the Men’s and Women’s Hockey teams at their home openers - there will be chances to win free tickets throughout September
By attending these special events, students will be entered for a chance to win a number of prizes:
- $50 gift card to Barnes & Noble
- A pair of tickets to the Strong Museum (plus transportation!)
- A pair of tickets to Angels in America
- A pair of tickets to the opening RIT Men’s Hockey Game
Students can find the full list of activities on the Second Year Experience CampusGroups page.
Fall University-Wide Career Fair
The Fall Career Fair will be held on Wednesday, Sept. 29. The Career Fair, held in the Gordon Field House, draws a variety of companies, ranging from small tech firms to Fortune 500 companies. Students need to bring their student ID to the Career Fair to be admitted. There will also be a Virtual Career Fair on Oct. 14—more information will be available soon on the Career Fair website.
Brick City Homecoming and Family Weekend
Save the date for Brick City Homecoming and Family Weekend on Oct. 15-17. This RIT tradition features events for the whole family and is a great time to visit your new student. Stay tuned for the event schedule and registration details!
RIT Ready Updates
Face Masks Requirements
Effective Aug. 5, face masks will be required indoors for everyone on campus, regardless of vaccination status. We are disappointed to have to make this decision, but, due to the highly contagious Delta variant, COVID-19 transmission rates are increasing in many parts of the country, including Monroe County. This move aligns with updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), New York State, and Monroe County Health officials.
The indoor mask requirement applies at all times, except when alone, in a private office, in students' living spaces, or while eating. In addition, members of the RIT community who are not fully vaccinated are also required to wear face masks outdoors in crowded settings when distancing cannot be observed.
Requirements for Unvaccinated Students
Students who are not fully vaccinated at the time of their arrival, including those who have an approved exemption, will be required to participate in weekly testing starting the week students arrive on campus. Full vaccination occurs 14 days after the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. More information is available on the COVID-19 Vaccine Information webpage.
Please be sure to review RIT’s visitor policy. All guests are expected to comply with applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines relating to the COVID-19 pandemic, including wearing a mask when indoors or in crowded outdoor areas. At this time, guests are not permitted in on-campus housing except for assisting with Move-In. All visitors should check into the Welcome Center when they arrive on campus.
Information and Updates
2021-2022 Academic Calendar
The 2021-2022 Academic Calendar includes all important dates, including breaks. Remember that, along with the academic calendar, your student should refer to their course syllabi for important dates.
Campus Mailing Addresses
Mailing addresses for all campus locations can be found on the Mail and Care Package page of the RIT parent website.
RIT Care Packages is an exclusive gift service provided by RIT Dining. You can purchase any of the individual Care Packages throughout the year or plan ahead with the Tiger Roar Package, that includes all six. Prices and order deadlines can be found on the Care Packages website. There are also options for cake, pizza, and fruit and cheese deliveries.
The Orientation professional staff and Student Orientation Coordinators have loved welcoming new students and families to campus this week!
Each month, we ask parents to respond to our Parent Poll and provide feedback on a topic related to RIT, your student, and you. In July, we asked what your student was doing this summer. Most were either working a summer job or a co-op. Please take a moment to answer our August question.
- RIT Parent Newsletter-May 2023
- RIT Parent Newsletter-April 2023
- RIT Parent Newsletter-March 2023
- RIT Parent Newsletter-February 2023
- RIT Parent Newsletter-January 2022
- RIT Parent Newsletter-December 2022
- RIT Parent Newsletter-October 2022
- RIT Parent Newsletter-September 2022
- RIT Parent Newsletter-August 2022
- RIT Parent Newsletter-July 2022-2
- RIT Parent Newsletter-June 2022
- RIT Parent Newsletter-May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- Family Orientation Newsletter-Jan 4, 2021
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021
- Family Orientation Newsletter June 29, 2021