- Adobe Connect
- Classroom Assessment Techniques
- Student Polling Devices
- Continuity of Instruction
- Flipped Classroom
- Online Discussions
- Peer Instruction
- Instructor-to-Student Interaction
- Online Accessibility
- Online Assessment
- Small-Group Work
- Student-to-Student Interaction
- Teaching Millennials
Classroom Assessment Techniques
Have you ever been unpleasantly surprised by your students’ performance on a quiz, project, or paper?
Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATs) are a type of formative evaluation that allow you and your students to gauge their comprehension of content or concepts and ability to analyze and synthesize their learning before they complete a summative evaluation. CATs allow you to adjust course content and teaching methods to meet students’ learning needs. There are many forms of CATs and most are quick and easy to design and use.
For your convenience, this Teaching Element is also available as a downloadable pdf.
Research in the effective use of CATs has consistently shown that they:
- Positively affect a student's role, motivation, and self-perception (Sadler, 1989; Barchfeld-Venet, 2005), which in turn increases student satisfaction and involvement or engagement (Kalina & Catlin, 1994; Steadman 1993).
- Have an especially positive impact on low achievers and students with learning challenges improving their learning outcomes (Fuchs, et al., 1997; Black & Wiliam, 1998).
- Improve student achievement and reduce the time it takes for students to grasp the content (Leahy, Lyon, Thompson, & Wiliam, 2005).
- Facilitate the development of students’ critical analysis ability (Pastor, 2011).
- Significantly improve and raise academic performance (Pastor, 2011).
- Provide useful information about student learning with a much lower inv
There are many types of CATs and the following table highlights a few, based on the focus of the assessment.
Select a CAT to learn more about how to use the technique.
(facts, concepts, principles)
Problem Solving Assessment
(critical thinking, analysis)