BA, Cornell University; MFA, Rochester Institute of Technology; ABD, University of Rochester
- Joined RIT in 1998
- Sole illustrator or significant contributor to 47 textbooks or reference texts and contributing illustrator to 37 others
- Author or co-author of ten scholarly articles featured in the Journal of Biocommunication, and Scientific American
- Work has been featured in exhibitions across the US and internationally
- Recipient of the British Medical Association Illustrated Book Award and the Award of Excellence, Illustrated Book Award from the Association of Medical Illustrators
- One of seven finalists internationally for the Giliola Gamberini Award from the Association Européenne des Illustrateurs Médicaux et Scientifiques and the University of Bologna
- Illustrated three book covers and 25 magazine covers, including the Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease, Case Studies in Oncology, HER2 in Oncology, and Advances in Glioma Therapy
- Provided illustrations for 50 peer-reviewed journal articles including Science and Medicine, the Journal of Clinical Investigation, Biophotonics International, and the Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics
- Led initial accreditation process of graduate medical illustration program by the Association of Medical Illustrators
- Fellow of the Association of Medical Illustrators
In the News
August 3, 2020
RIT faculty gearing up to apply spring learnings to fall classes
The unexpected transition to remote learning during the spring semester challenged faculty across RIT to experiment, create, and deploy new methods of instruction to ensure student success. As the university gears up for in-person and online classes—or a combination of both—faculty members are applying a wide range of lessons learned from the spring to keep academic momentum moving forward in the fall.
May 8, 2020
James Perkins wins Eisenhart Award for Outstanding Teaching
RIT Professor James Perkins ’92 MFA (medical illustration) has won the trifecta of RIT honors—this year adding an Eisenhart Award for Outstanding Teaching and Distinguished Professor to his 2015-2016 Trustees Scholarship Award.
Anatomy, Histology, and Pathology
Illustrations of anatomy, histology (cellular structure), and pathology. All created in Adobe Photoshop.
Bovine pneumonia (textbook cover)
Cover design for the 4th edition of Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease. The illustration shows the pathology of bovine pneumonia. Created in Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
De-rotational casting for progressive infantile scoliosis
One of a series of illustrations created for an article in the Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics. It shows one step in the placement of a fiberglass cast on a patient with progressive infantile...