Many faculty would like to use "cloud" storage to save their data. Reasons for this may be:
- Don't want to take laptop to class
- Want access to files when at home, on the road, etc.
- Would like automated backup and potential versioning.
The issue that arises, is that data that is for\belongs\confidential\research etc must be on RIT based servers to ensure adequate backup and protection against data loss (either intentional or unintentional).
Where can this become an issue (not all inclusive)?
- Employee leaves RIT and doesn't provide copies of the data to RIT.
- Virus \ Encryption issue where data is breached and the virus goes up to "cloud" services.
- Employee becomes extremely ill and access to data is not available (ex. Lectures, Budgets, etc.)
- Data is overwritten\deleted by accident and adequate backups have not been maintained.
These things have actually happened and many times we