The Student Employment Office makes the student hiring process easy.
Whether you are a new on-campus employer or you would like a quick refresher, attend the “Student Employment 101” training course offered through the Center for Professional Development at RIT. Connect with our office to get started with Student Employment. We are always available to answer your questions or guide you through the employment process.
Graduate Assistant Guides
Student Employment Policies
Each department must make sure the students will have important work and a supportive environment that can be fostered within the reality of our altered operations. All student employees will be expected to follow all implemented employee and student safety guidelines while working, and all building occupancy restrictions must be adhered to.
All hire/change forms can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send one student per email, with that student’s name in the subject line.
This is a dedicated mailbox for hire/change forms only, please send any other inquiries to email@example.com.
SEO Cards will only be issued to new student employees completing the I9. We will no longer update physical SEO Cards for returning student employees. Instead, students will submit a request for Employment Eligibility Verification here. SEO will respond with an email that they can show their supervisor indicating they are clear to work. This email will serve in place of an SEO Card for returning employees.
Students must complete the federally mandated I-9 prior to their first day of work
- Part 1 is completed online at www.rit.edu/i9.
- Part 2 of the I-9 is completed by appointment only.
- Appointments can be made through RIT Career Connect at https://rit-csm.symplicity.com/
- Students MAY NOT begin working until the I-9 has been completed.
Supervisors may reach out to Student Employment for an alternate process if they have a student employee who is beginning their job remotely and cannot physically come to the SEO to complete the I-9
Job postings can be accessed on RIT Career Connect. All hire forms must have a Career Connect number in the upper right corner.
Student paychecks will be mailed directly to the address the student has on their employment file
- Paper paychecks will not be sent to departments
- Students are encouraged to sign up for a direct deposit to avoid any delays in pay, information on direct deposit will be available on the SEO and Payroll websites
Please note RIT cannot support remote work outside of the US
All remote work must be relevant and necessary to the operation of departments. Student employees should not be expected or required to work during breaks, they should be given the opportunity to take time off from academics and work to recharge.
Students who will be working remotely must have Dean/AVP approval. The Remote Work Request must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org to report all remote work.
If your student employee tests positive for COVID-19 they may be eligible for paid time off under the New York State COVID-19 Paid Sick Leave.
- Students should follow the guidelines provided by the Student Health Center and available on the RIT Ready website for reporting their positive COVID-19 test to RIT.
- Student employees must complete the NYS Department of Health Affirmation of Isolation and provide the document to their supervisor.
- If a student can continue to perform their job while in isolation, they will be paid their regular hours worked.
- If a student cannot perform their job while in isolation, they are entitled to paid time using the NYS COVID-19 pay code in Kronos for up to 14 days.
Illness-related absences that do not qualify for the Health Affirmation of Isolation can be paid using any PTO the student has accrued, per the NYS Paid Sick Leave.
Career Connect for Supervisors
Register an account on Career Connect. To join your company, find the individual office or division through RIT. Do not enter the general “Rochester Institute of Technology” company. All positions that are currently and have previously entered into Handshake for your company are available to you once you register.
If you have any questions about your company selection, contact our office for assistance in selecting the right company.
Learn how to post jobs on Career Connect by visiting our Employer Career Connect page.
All positions must be entered into Career Connect and approved by the Student Employment Office. The position will be automatically assigned a Career Connect ID number when it is created, and that is the number used on a student employee’s hire form.
The RIT login or Single Sign-On feature will not work for RIT staff.
Please note that Dining Services supervisors will be directed to the Dining Services Business Office for Career Connect assistance, due to the oversight required by Dining Services policies.
Hiring a Student
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible to work:
- Completed I9
- Full-time registration in a matriculated degree program for the academic semester
Students may not begin working until supervisors have verified eligibility by physically viewing either the SEO Card or the eligibility email from the student
The following students are not eligible to work on-campus:
- Currently suspended
- Leave of absence
- Recently graduated
- New incoming students may not begin working until they arrive on campus for the start of the semester
The student employee must have been registered full-time the previous semester AND registered for at least three credits for the summer or fall sessions.
- Check to see if there is already someone in your department or division that serves as the student employment contact. We find that in many cases, professors or other new supervisors will find that there is a coordinator in place in their department who can assist with the Student Employment Process.
- Post a position in Career Connect, or refer to previous job postings to get their Career Connect ID number.
- Physically view the SEO Card or student’s eligibility email issued from SEO.
If a student has never worked for RIT before they must complete the I9. Complete the hire form. If hiring above the minimum wage, complete an advanced level job description.
- Submit the hire form to email@example.com. Submit one student per email with the student's name in the subject line.