Procedures for Business Continuity

Procure to Pay General Guidelines

While the temporary Extraordinary Approvals process has expired for most expenses as of 06/30/2021, it remains in effect for international travel.   All International Travel will still require divisional vice president approval and Sr. VP of Finance and Administration approval.

Click here for Approval Requirements for HR Transactions


1. Is Accounts Payable still processing invoices on purchase orders for goods delivered/services provided prior to the spending freeze or ordered prior to the spending freeze but received after?

  • Yes; as long as the goods have been received in Oracle and the invoice has been approved via Oracle workflow, it will be paid according to the supplier terms.

2. Since the Accounts Payable Office is closed, what the best way to send payment requests to be processed?

  • Advise the supplier to send invoices for items to be paid on purchase orders, directly to the Accounts Payable mailbox at Important: the PO number must be clearly noted on the invoice. Sending invoices direct to the AP mailbox, rather than to the department contact, is a best practice under all circumstances. For payments to be processed on an Invoice Payment Form, complete the IPF, attach the invoice, scan the documents and email to If you are not able to obtain the signature of the authorized approver, attach an email from the approver indicating that the invoice is OK to pay. Refer to item 2 above for details about the approval process during the spending freeze.

3. Am I able to process payments on Invoice Payment Forms (IPF)?

  • Making a payment on an IPF is not permitted when used to bypass the approval process described in the response to question 2 above. When a payment is requested on an IPF, the purchase must adhere to all purchasing polices. When the invoice is submitted to Accounts Payable to be paid, follow the standard departmental approval process as well as the additional approvals required during the spending freeze described in question 2. If you have questions about when the use of an IPF is permitted, contact

4. I made a business purchase and charged it to my personal credit card. What is the process for requesting reimbursement?

  • If your purchase was approved in advance (see question 2 above), you may request reimbursement via Oracle iExpenses RIT Employee Reimbursement. If proof of preapproval by the appropriate division VP and Sr. VP Finance & Administration is not submitted with the reimbursement request, it will be rejected by Accounts Payable. If the purchase was made prior to the spending freeze, follow the same preapproval process as described in question 2 above.

5. I purchased an Apple computer online and when I submitted the reimbursement via iExpenses, it was rejected. Why?

  • It was rejected for two reasons:
    • All Apple products for RIT business use must be purchased from the RIT Digital Den. This is because “device enrollment” is required by RIT for management of university-owned Apple devices, which includes Mac computers, iPads, Apple TVs, and Apple Watches; and,
    • the purchase was not preapproved by the division VP and the Sr. VP Finance & Administration.

6. I want to purchase a computer from the Digital Den. Is it open even though the campus is closed?

  • The Digital Den is open by appointment only. Information about making an appointment and placing orders is on The Digital Den website.

7. I have additional charges on my cell phone bill because I exceeded my monthly minutes. Can I be reimbursed?

  • If an employee exceeds their monthly minutes as a result of working from home, they should submit a reimbursement via Oracle iExpenses for the additional expense incurred. Attach a copy of the bill to support the reimbursement request and evidence of pre-approval from the divisional vice president and the Sr. VP of Finance and Administration. If the employee receives an allowance to defray the cost of Wireless Communication Devices, he/she is not eligible for additional reimbursement.

Processes and Procedures

Preparing and Submitting Procurement Card Packets

Evaluating Recurring Charges

Exceptions to and How to Increase My Procurement Card Limit

Travel Card Limit Reduced to Zero

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Purchases: Communication 


Procurement Card Change Request Form


1. Why did you lower the limit on my RIT travel card to zero?

  • We took this action to support the University’s current restriction on business travel and to reduce the risk that your card would be compromised while not in use. When authorized business travel resumes, we will re-establish credit limits.

2. I need to be reimbursed for airfare I paid for on my personal credit card.

  • Refer to the Business Travel Cancellations document on the travel section of the Controller’s web site for information about steps to follow when a business event such as a conference is cancelled by the event sponsor or the traveler is not able to attend for business or personal reasons.



1. What’s the best way to record my time when I’m working from home?

  • If you don’t have a license to access Kronos from your PC, complete a paper time sheet and send it to your supervisor the last day of the payroll period.

2. Since we’re all working remotely, who do I contact if I have a question about entering my time?

  • Send an email to for all timekeeping related questions including access to Kronos and sign-offs/approvals.

3. Is it OK for students to work remotely? 

  • Students who are already working remotely and have clear direction from their department on the work they are expected to complete can continue to work remotely. Newly identified remote student work opportunities requires two levels of approval – immediate supervisor and the next level up. Important: remote work can only occur in the United States. Departments should notify Payroll at if one of their students is working outside of New York State providing them with the student’s current mailing address. The HR department has provided additional guidance regarding overtime and shift differential here. While there is a lot of flexibility in schedules during this period of time, it is important to remember that working during certain days and times come with additional pay by the hour for non-exempt staff.  For example, Sunday premium, work performed on Sunday is paid at 1 1/2 times the regular hourly rate.


1. How do I deposit cash or a check?

  • Complete a deposit slip, attach the check or cash and place in an envelope addressed to Student Financial Services. Bring the envelope to the University Service Center (USC), Bldg. 87 and place in the secure drop box in the lobby . The USC hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:00pm.