Rochester Institute of Technology hosts the Central/Western New York Subregional contest where high school students (grades 9-12) present their results of original research efforts before a panel of judges and an audience of their peers. At the end of the subregional event, one participant may be selected to move on to the New York State regional competition.
Benefits of participation
- Advance in statewide, regional, national and international symposia
- Develop skills to help prepare for undergraduate and graduate pursuits
- Network to enrich understanding of STEM pursuits beyond high school
- Participate in a forum honoring individual achievement in STEM
- Qualify for recognition and scholarships
What is JSHS?
Junior Science and Humanities Symposium is a Department of Defense sponsored STEM program that encourages high school students to conduct original research in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and publicly recognizes students for outstanding achievement. By connecting talented students, their teachers and research professionals at affiliated symposia, and by rewarding research excellence, JSHS aims to widen the pool of trained talent prepared to conduct research and development vital to our nation.
- Expand the horizons of research-oriented students by exposing them to opportunities in the academic, industrial and governmental communities
- Increase the research and development capabilities of the future U.S. workforce
- Promote research and experimentation in science, technology, engineering and mathematics at the high school level
- Recognize the significance of research in human affairs, and the importance of humane and ethical principles in the application of research results
- Search for talented youth and their teachers, recognize their accomplishments at symposia, and encourage their continued interest and participation in STEM
Central/Western New York Subregional Event
Hosted by Rochester Institute of Technology
- Event Date: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Saturday, January 27, 2024
- Location: Louise Slaughter Hall, 78 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY, 14623
Registration due by January 8, 2024
Important Information for Participation
JSHS Central/Western Subregional Registration
For any questions, please contact Kraig Farrell at firstname.lastname@example.org