Skip to content Skip to navigation

International Experience

Working abroad is a great way to experience a different culture, gain work experience in your field of study, and work for outstanding companies and organizations. You will get a different perspective on how to live and work and you will learn different ways of approaching and solving problems in a professional environment. Working abroad is sure to be a great experience both personally and professionally.


Learn about International Experience

International Experience Mini Info Sessions

Come and learn more about our International Experience programs! To reserve your spot in a group meeting, login to Handshake and search for "International Experience Mini Information Session" events and select "RSVP for Event".  There are many sessions offered each semester. To request interpreting services go to

Explore by Country

ArgentinaAustraliaBrazilCanadaChileChinaFranceGermanyIndiaIrelandItalyJamaicaJapanSingaporeSpainSwitzerlandUnited Kingdom


Travel Information

Health Insurance Coverage

You should be familiar with all circumstances in your host country that could affect your health and safety Health Insurance Coverage.

Travel Advisory

The U.S. Department of State website will allow you to check the status of a country’s travel advisory, as well as important tips and information for students. Register your travel abroad with the US department of state prior to your departure, Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

Language and Culture

Speaking the native language is not always a requirement for working overseas, therefore check with the company that you are targeting. Be aware that you are entering a new country and a new culture. Find out as much information as you can about the country you are visiting including language, cultural do’s and don’t, economic problems, and national attraction. Talk to other students and family members who have traveled to these countries. You can also visit the International Student Services to find out if we have any current students attending RIT from that country. This is a great way to gain first hand knowledge about your destination.


Prepare for the unexpected! One of the obstacles that you will probably encounter in preparing for an international work experience is the documentation.

Passport – If you don’t already have one, apply for a passport. The cost for a new passport is $140 and it typically takes about 4-6 weeks to arrive. If you’re in a hurry, you can pay an additional fee for expedited service to receive the passport within 2 weeks.

Visas/Permits – All countries require special permission for foreigners to work in their countries. For co-op students, Visas may or may not be required. Check with hiring company for more information.

For additional information regarding passports, visas, immunizations and testing, and additional fees, visit the U.S. Department of State site.


Have local currency with you when you arrive in that country, so you can pay for transportation and other expenses. Credit cards like Visa, Master Card and American Express are widely accepted around the world. Your ATM debit card might work overseas as well, but check with your financial institution before leaving the US. For information on currency conversion click here.


When working overseas, housing is usually the responsibility of the student or individual looking for a job. Available accommodations will vary by country and specific locality. There are certain organizations that specialize in providing housing, for a cost, to a student on internship or co-op assignment. Below are links to some of these organizations as well as general search sites. – Online database of apartment rentals for U.S., Canada and other countries. – Resources for overseas living, geared towards full time work assignments. is an association of International Houses from across the continents, they provide students of different nationalities with the opportunity to live and learn together in a community of mutual respect, understanding and international friendship. Locations: Australia, United Kingdom and Canada.

Funding Resources

The WIVRA (Work, Internships, Volunteering, and Research Abroad) Subcommittee is pleased to introduce a new resource on funding sources for students seeking experiential learning programs abroad.

RIT students participating in an International Co-op, Internship, Research, Volunteer or Fellowship are eligible to apply for Career Services Travel Grant. This experience must be registered with the Office of Career Services, and the student will receive department credit for their experience. International Experience Travel Grant application.

Application Deadlines: Fall October 31, Spring March 31, Summer July 31

Frequently Asked Questions

How would I benefit?

  • Obtain co-op credit for your work experience
  • Gain valuable work experience and develop new skills
  • Understand global issues by experiencing them first-hand
  • Expand your cultural horizons
  • Develop your foreign language skills
  • Expand your professional network
  • Make new friends

What should I do first?

  • Review the International Experience Partners on our website
  • Attend an International Experience Mini Information Session
  • Meet with Maria Richart or Nicole Martinez-Anderson for more information

How can I best prepare?

  • Take language courses appropriate to your target country
  • Determine when you would like to intern/co-op
  • Make sure your passport is up-to-date
  • Invest enough time working with our office to find the right affiliate to meet your needs

What is the cost?

  • Cost varies depending on your destination
  • By using the work abroad providers/affiliates, work permits and service fees may be included. None include plane fare, or room and board
  • Some overseas jobs may pay enough to cover living expenses, but plan on taking enough money to travel and cover your living expenses as salaries are much lower than US salaries
  • There is No Financial Aid for working abroad

When should I start looking for an International Experience opportunity?

Start looking at least 6 months before you are due to co-op or looking to move overseas. This is not a short process and can take a long time to establish the connections and process the paperwork needed to work abroad. If you don’t already have one, get a passport. Research countries, organizations and processes by usings sites like Goin Global (which is available as a link in Handshake). It contains more than 10,000 job resources.

Who is eligible to work abroad and what are the requirements?

For students: At the time that you become eligible to co-op, you are eligible to work abroad. For students enrolled in engineering or technical programs, we do recommend that you pursue these opportunities after your first or second co-op. You will have the advantage of having work experience and will be better prepared to approach the international work environment.

Do I need to speak the language?

Not necessarily, but it will depend on the company or organization that you’re working for. Most large corporations will have some English speaking employees and can actually benefit from hiring an English speaking student. Other companies may want you to speak their native tongue in order to conduct business and deal with co-workers and customers. Find out what the language requirements are for a specific company before making any commitments.

Have other students worked overseas?

Yes. Most International Experience opportunities have been through our partner organizations such as Cultural Vistas, Global Experience, etc.

Contact Us

Maria Richart
Nicole Martinez-Anderson

57 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623

Twitter and Instagram: #RITIntlExperience

Congratulations to Maria Richart -- Voted on by the GoAbroad Innovation Awards Academy, Global Experience was the standout in the category for “Innovative New Program: Intern Abroad” for its Accelerated Internship Abroad Experience co-designed with Maria Richart at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Read more about this prestigious honor and program.

Students, if you are interested in meeting with our team send a request to an email message with some information about yourself and your work abroad goals. To request Interpreting services go to