Where is the IGM Office? When are you open?

The IGM Office is located in Golisano Hall room 2145. The Office is open from 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday – Friday when classes are in session during fall and spring terms. Office hours may change during summer and break periods.

How do I make an appointment?

If you need to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor (for any reason), the most efficient way to do so is via Starfish. You can access the Starfish Home page by logging into SIS (https://sis.rit.edu/info/welcome.do) or myCourses (https://mycourses.rit.edu/index.asp) and clicking on the Starfish icon. From there, click “My Success Network”, then link the link under your primary advisor’s name, and finally click “Schedule Appointment”. Appointments may not be made via email.

If you have an issues scheduling an appointment via Starfish, call the IGM Main Office at 585.475-2763 or stop by the IGM office (Golisano 2145).  

Can I see my advisor without an appointment?

The Academic Advising staff does hold daily Walk-in Advising hours. This time is for quick questions that are 10 minutes or less. When you come in for a walk-in, the front office will ask why you need to see an advisor. This is to help assess if it is appropriate for a walk-in or if you need an appointment.

The academic advisors rotate Walk-in Advising hours during the week. You can see any advisor during walk-in hours. If you would prefer to speak to your specific academic advisor please set up an appointment.

Walk in hours are held Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays 2pm - 4pm, and Thursdays and Fridays from 10am – 12pm during fall and spring terms when classes or final exams are in session. There are no walk in advising hours during the followings days/times: Labor Day, Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Break, Reading Days, January Intersession, Summer Semester, and any day the Institute is closed.


How do I declare a minor?

Before you declare a minor it is advised that you meet with the Minor Advisor for the program you are interested in. The Minor Advisor will be able to inform you of the qualifications, course requirements, and process for declaring a minor. After you have met with the Minor Advisor, it’s a good idea to meet with your academic advisor to determine how the minor will fit into your primary course of study.

In order to declare a minor you will need to complete a “Minor Authorization Form” and get signatures of approval from the Minor Advisor and the IGM Office. The Minor Authorization Forms are available from the Registrar’s website.

What’s an Immersion? How do I declare it?

Each RIT student is required to complete an Immersion (formerly known as a Concentration in the quarter system.) Immersions consist of three courses from a particular discipline or focus area and sometimes require pre-requisite work. A list of Immersions is located here: http://www.rit.edu/cla/minors_and_immersions.php#2

To declare an Immersion, you should complete the Immersion/Authorization Change form on the Registrar’s website or visit the Liberal Arts Student Services Office (2nd floor Liberal Arts Building.)

What is a General Education (Gen Ed) course?

Gen Ed courses typically come from Math, Science, or Liberal Arts, but there are some rogue General Education courses that exist in other disciplines. You can determine what courses fulfill General Education requirements by using attribute search category on the advanced search on SIS.

What is a Free Elective?

A Free Elective can come from any department on campus. This can include business courses, other technical courses, art courses, liberal arts courses, etc. All courses at RIT are considered free electives.

What is required to make Dean’s List?

To be placed on Dean’s List for the term you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • Your term GPA must be a 3.4 or higher;
  • You must have registered for and completed at least 12 credits for the term;
  • You may not have any grades of Incomplete, D, or F for the term.

For more information, please see RIT’s Policy: http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/sectionD/D5_1.html

I failed a course but retook it and earned an “A”. Will the original “F” be erased from my transcript?

No. All the grades you earn will remain on your transcript forever. However, the credit for the original course will be removed from your overall credit total and the credit from the repeated course will be added into your overall credit total. In addition, the grade from the original course will no longer be calculated into your GPA, but the grade from the repeated course will be calculated into your GPA.

I was sent an Early Alert email – what does this mean?

An Early Alert email is sent from your instructor when he/she believes you are encountering obstacles in the course. This could mean that you are struggling with exams, homework, attendance, or some other element of the course. It is imperative that you address the situation as soon as possible. The email will likely have recommendations for the best course of action, but talking to your instructor and your academic advisor are also recommended.

I was placed on academic probation – what does this mean?

According to RIT Policy, a student is placed on academic probation when his/her cumulative or term GPA drops below a 2.0. You will be informed by IGM through email and U.S. mail if you have been placed on academic probation and will be given instructions regarding your next steps. Please see RIT Policy for more details: http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/sectionD/D5_1.html.

I was told I’ve been suspended from RIT – what does this mean?

According to RIT Policy, a student will be academically suspended if his/her cumulative or term GPA is below 1.0. You will be informed by IGM through email and U.S. mail if you have been suspended and will be given instructions regarding the appeal process and reapplication terms. Please see RIT Policy for more details: http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/sectionD/D5_1.html.


I want to change my major out of Game Design & Development/New Media Interactive Development – what do I do?

Each department has their own process for accepting change of major students. It is recommended that you contact an academic advisor/undergraduate coordinator/department chair within the academic program you wish to change into to learn more. That person will be able to inform you of the qualifications, process, and deadlines for their specific change of program process. Your current academic advisor can also assist with identifying specific people for you to make contact with.

Once you have made a decision for a new major, you will work with your current academic advisor to complete Change of Major paperwork. That paperwork and the contents of your academic folder will be sent to the new department for review. The new department will then make a decision as to whether you will be accepted or rejected from the program. You will remain a student within your original major within the School of Interactive Games and Media until you have been accepted into a new program.

I want to change my major into Game Design & Development or New Media Interactive Development – what do I do?

You can find the Change of Program Process information for our degree programs under the BS: Game Design & Development and BS: New Media Interactive Development sections of this website. This process is in effect for students who are internal and external to the School of Interactive Games and Media.

I’m a non-IGM major, is it possible to just take a class?

Yes! Enrollment in our classes is usually full, but we do accept requests from non-majors who’d like to enroll in a course. You will have to complete our Non-Major Course Request Form. Depending on the course, you may need faculty approval. You’ll be added on a space available basis on the last day of add/drop of the term. In addition, submission of the form does not guarantee that you will be enrolled in the course.


If you do not see your question below, please go to https://wiki.rit.edu/display/itskb/Student+FAQs. Answers to many student enrollment questions are available there.

What is my Shopping Cart and why do I need to use it?

The Shopping Cart is used to help students plan and manage their selections. Keep in mind that courses in your Shopping Cart are for planning purposes only – you are NOT enrolled in a course if it is in your Shopping Cart, nor are you guaranteed a seat in a class because it is in your Shopping Cart.

Your Shopping Cart Appointment on SIS signifies the point in time the enrollment Shopping Cart becomes available to you. Shopping Carts becomes available to all students at the same time each term.

Using the Shopping Cart feature is not optional. All students will need to use the shopping cart to pre-plan their enrollment transactions. Whether you pre-plan at the beginning of the Shopping Cart Appointment period or the day before Enrollment is up to you. However, we encourage you to be proactive and begin the planning phase early so advisors can assist you in understanding your course and class options for a given term.

Once you have placed courses in your Shopping Cart you have the ability to validate your course selections. By validating your course selections you will be alerted to potential issues that may arise during your enrollment appointment. Keep in mind that if you have a hold on your account, have courses with time conflicts, or want to enroll in multiple sections of the same course you will not be able to enroll in these courses.

How do I audit a course?

Typically you can only indicate that you’d like to audit wellness courses while enrolling, although departments may choose to not allow this option for certain courses. Audits for non-wellness courses will need to be approved by the instructor using the Add/Drop/Audit form on the Registrar’s website. Audits cannot be officially processed until the first week of the academic term.  

A course I want/need is full – what do I do?

The first thing that you will want to do is get on the waiting list! When you are searching and selecting courses, be sure to check the “Wait List if Class is Full” box before you add the course to your shopping cart. From there, you should also look at other courses as a replacement, in case the original course doesn’t end up working out.

Your other option would be to use the Swap function. This function allows you to get into your second choice course, and then drop that course if your first choice course becomes available. Please see the instructions on the Swap feature below.

NOTE: Advisors cannot add students into courses from other departments outside of IGM. For example, advisors cannot get a student into a Communications course by pushing them into a closed course. You will have to contact the department that owns the course directly.

How do I set up a Swap?

  • Once in the Student Center, click the Enroll link on the left beneath Academics.
  • Click the Swap subtab under the Enroll tab.
  • Under Swap This Class, select the class from your current schedule you no longer want to take.
  • Under With This Class you can do one of three things:
    • select a class that’s in your shopping cart
    • search for a class to add to your shopping cart;
    • enter the 5-digit class ID if you know it. Note: Class IDs are unique to the class section and change each term.
  • Click the Select button to the right of the new class to continue the swap.
  • This brings you to the confirmation page where you can click either Finish Swapping to confirm or Cancel if you no longer want to swap.
  • After you click Finish Swapping, you may receive a message confirming whether the class was replaced successfully. However, if the class has a Wait List, the message will indicate your position in the Wait List line. If the class is closed or you don’t have the prerequisites, the message will indicate that you cannot make the swap.
  • If a swap is made, your updated schedule will be displayed when you click My Class Schedule. If you set up a swap to a class with a Wait List, it will show you are still enrolled in the original class and on the Wait List for the new class.

What’s the difference between dropping and withdrawing?

You are able to modify your course schedule when your enrollment appointment begins through the Add/Drop period of a term. The Add/Drop period is typically the first 6 days of the term in fall and spring semesters. During this time frame you can drop classes online via SIS. When you drop a class during this time there is no record kept that will show on your official transcript.

If you want to leave a course once the Add/Drop period for the term has ended and through the end of the 12th week of the semester, it is considered a “Drop with Penalty” or withdrawal. You can withdraw from a course via SIS; a grade of “W” is assigned to that course and the withdrawal becomes part of your permanent record. When a withdrawal is processed you, your instructor, and your advisor(s) will be notified via email. You are strongly advised to consult with your advisor and instructor before you withdraw from a course.


I think I’m almost done with my degree, what do I need to do to graduate?

If you believe you are within a year of graduating you are required to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to complete a graduation audit. It is recommended that you schedule this appointment BEFORE you enroll in your last semester of classes. In this appointment you will be given an official report of what requirements you have left to complete and also complete paperwork for the Registrar’s Office regarding the term of your graduation and your intent to participate in Commencement ceremonies.

What is required to graduate with honors?

Graduating with honors can mean different things depending on what type of honors you are referring to. Most students mean honors in terms of cumulative GPA at the time of graduation. Honors designations are broken down into three levels:

  • Cum Laude: 3.4 – 3.59 GPA
  • Magna Cum Laude: 3.6 – 3.79 GPA
  • Summa Cum Laude: 3.8 – 4.0 GPA

Graduating with honors can also mean completion of the RIT Honors Program. For more information on the Honors Program at RIT please visit: https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/honors/