Travel Policies & Procedures Manual

This manual contains information regarding RIT travel policies and procedures. Additional information regarding travel, reimbursement process as well as accounting practices and procedures is available on the Accounts Payable web page.

If you have questions regarding information in this manual, call a member of the Controller's Office Travel Team:

  • Barbara Thome, Accounts Payable Specialist II at 475-7221
  • Bill Zimmerman, Payroll Manager at 475-5984
  • Christa Abugasea, Executive Director of Payroll & Accounts Payable Services at 475-2418

Table of Contents

  1. Introduction
  2. Department Directory
    1. Controller's Office
    2. Office of Global Risk Management Services
    3. Procurement Services Department
  3. Travel Policies
    1. Advances
    2. Airfare
    3. Approval for Reimbursing Expenses
    4. Documentation
    5. Mileage Reimbursement Rate
    6. Non-Reimbursable Expenses
    7. Reimbursable Expenses
  4. Travel Procedures - General
    1. Air Travel
    2. Automobile Travel
    3. Central Travel Account (CTA)
    4. Cancelations & Refunds
    5. Designated Budget Authority
    6. Designated Travel Agencies
    7. Documentation Requirements
    8. Government Travel Account (GTA)
    9. Hospitality
    10. Lodging
    11. Meals
    12. Mileage Reimbursements
    13. Miscellaneous Transportation
    14. Other Travel Agencies
    15. Registration Fees
    16. Reimbursement of Travel Expenses
    17. Rental Vehicles
    18. Sales Tax Exemption
    19. Special Discount Rates
    20. Travel Advances
    21. Travel Expense Report
    22. Traveling with Your Spouse
  5. Travel Procedures - Special
    1. Budget Restrictions
    2. Employment Interviews
    3. Grants & Contracts
    4. Independent Contractors/Consultants
    5. Lecturers and Other Visitors
    6. Moving & Relocation Expenses
  6. Foreign Travel
    1. Approvals
    2. Automobile Rentals
    3. Business Class Airfare
    4. Currency Conversion
    5. Emergencies While Traveling
    6. Fly America Act
    7. Grants & Contracts
    8. Student Abroad Program
    9. Travel Assistance Program
    10. Trip Information
  7. Insurance
    1. Auto Liability Insurance
    2. Injury or Sickness
    3. Insurance Beneficiary
    4. PNC Corporate Travel Card Coverage
    5. Loss or Damage to Personal Property
    6. Personal Accident Insurance
    7. Rental Car Collision Damage Waiver
    8. Travel Assistance Program
    9. Travel Accident Insurance
    10. Traveling with RIT Property
    11. Traveling with Students and Non-RIT Employees
    12. Trip Cancelation Insurance
  8. Corporate Travel Card Programs
    1. Introduction
    2. PNC Corporate Travel Card
    3. General Information
  9. RIT Procurement Card
    1. Obtaining a Procurement Card
    2. Payments Made to PNC
    3. Reimbursement
    4. Other
  10. Appendix
    1. Cash Advances for NTID Travelers

A. Introduction

This manual provides information about approved business travel from the RIT campus (i.e..., one’s normal place of employment), or one’s home, to a destination in Rochester, or outside of the Rochester area. The University will reimburse faculty, staff and students, or pay certain outside vendors, for necessary and reasonable transportation and travel related expenses incurred in connection with RIT business travel that has been approved by an authorized individual (see below for more information) under the following circumstances:

  • The traveler has adhered to RIT policies and procedures;
  • The travel expenses are reasonable and allowable;
  • The traveler acts in a prudent manner when expending University, sponsor and donor funds*;
  • The expenses have a legitimate business purpose and are supported by appropriate documentation;
  • An authorized individual, who is at least one level of management above the traveler, has approved the Travel Expense Report**; and,
  • All expenditures are accurately reflected on the appropriate RIT general ledger account (i.e..., 24-digit account number)

*There may be circumstances when it is reasonable for an employee to vary from the established policies provided in this manual. For example, it is allowable for a traveler to exceed the meal limit on a particular day when dining with colleagues attending the same conference, when there is a demonstrated cost savings in another expense category (i.e..., a traveler is able to secure an automobile rental at a very reasonable rate that results in a significant cost savings for the department/University).

When a situation such as the one described above occurs, prepare a brief explanation, obtain the approval of an authorized department approver, and submit the justification with your Travel Expense Report.

Please contact a member of the travel team (refer to page 2) if you would like to discuss a specific situation where an exception to the policy may be appropriate.   

**Each program, college, department or division is responsible for designating an appropriate individual to approve RIT travel and hospitality expenditures. Generally, this individual is the dean, director, department head, or a department administrator.


  1. Traveler’s Responsibilities – Employees should use discretion when expending RIT funds and for ensuring that expenditures are necessary and appropriate for meeting business needs. In addition, employees are expected to:
  • Be familiar with, and follow, the policies and procedures specified in this manual and, if applicable, the policies of their particular division, college, department and/or program;
  • Provide receipts for all expenses except if claiming the daily “per diem” for meals;
  • Submit all travel expenses within the timeframes specified in the Accountable Plan section below.
  1. Accountable Plan Information – According to the IRS, in order for reimbursements or amounts paid directly by the University on behalf of the employee, an accountable plan requires employees to meet all of the requirements listed below. The employee must:
  • Have paid or incurred expenses while performing services as an RIT employee;
  • Adequately account for these expenses within a reasonable period of time; and,
  • Return any excess reimbursement or allowance within a reasonable period of time.

Based on IRS guidance, RIT has determined that reasonable with regards to accounting for travel related expenses to be 60 days from the last day of the trip. Therefore, in order to be reimbursed for travel related expenses on a non-taxable basis, employees must complete and submit their online Travel Expense Report  no later than 60 days from the last day of the trip.

If the reimbursement request is completed and submitted online after 60 days from the last day of the trip, the reimbursement will be made to the employee on a taxable basis. This means that the total expenses will be reported as income and added to the employee’s Form W-2.

Travel Expense Reports submitted after 120 days from the last day of the trip, will not be processed.

Note: It is important that expenses be accounted for in the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) in which they were incurred. Accounts Payable will seek the approval of the Division Vice President before processing reimbursements that cross fiscal years.

  1. Where to Submit Travel Expense Reports – Submit travel expenses that include an overnight stay, airline travel, or a travel advance electronically via Oracle for approval electronically and then forwarded to Accounts Payable for review and reimbursement. Use an Invoice Payment Form (IPF) to request travel advances.
  1. Changes to Travel Policies & Procedures – The Controller’s Office will periodically review travel policies and procedures; revisions may be made as part of the review process. RIT faculty and staff will be advised of any changes via the RIT Message Center; all changes and/or revisions will be published on the Controller’s Office travel web page and will be effective when issued. If required, Controller’s Office staff will provide additional training. Forms referenced throughout the manual are available on the Controller’s web site.

B. Department Directory

The following RIT departments are responsible for various aspects of the travel process:

  1. Controller's Office - The Controller's Office is responsible for the development and oversight of all travel policies and procedures. The following units are part of the Controller's Office.
    1. Accounting - If you have questions regarding the use of the PNC Procurement Card or PNC Corporate Travel Card, call the Corporate Card Administrator at 475-4491. Accounting is located on the 2nd floor of Barnes & Noble @ Park Point.
    2. Accounts Payable - Accounts Payable reviews all employee TERs for accuracy and compliance with established policies and procedures prior to processing employee reimbursements. In addition, Accounts Payable processes employee travel advance requests, checks for non-employee advance payments that may be required such as hotel deposits, registration fees and non-travel related employee reimbursements. Contact Accounts Payable if you have questions about how to complete your TER or the status of your travel advance or reimbursement. Accounts Payable is located on the 2nd floor of Barnes & Noble @ Park Point; 475-7221.
    3. Student Financial Services (SFS) - Return excess travel advance funds to the Cashier's window in the SFS Office using a Deposit ID Form. Do not send reimbursement of excess funds through interoffice mail. In addition, you may pick up your Telephone Calling Card at the Cashier's window. The SFS Office is located on the first floor of the University Services Center (87); 475-2192; (click here for the SFS website).
    4. Controller's Office - You may pick up your RIT PNC Procurement Card or PNC Travel Card from the Controller's Office reception area. The Controller's Office is located on the 2nd floor of Barnes & Noble @ Park Point; 475-2383; (click  here for the Controller website).
    5. Sponsored Programs Accounting - SPA is responsible for the fiscal administration of externally funded grants and contracts. If your travel is funded by grant or contract monies, and you have travel related questions, please contact SPA. SPA is located in the University Services Center (87); 475-2945; (click here for the SPA website).
  2. Global Risk Management Services - Direct questions regarding travel insurance or travel liability issues to this office. If an accident occurs when using a rented vehicle, notify the Global Risk Management Services Office upon returning to campus. Global Risk Management Services is located on the fourth floor of George Eastman Hall (01); 475-6131
  3. Procurement Services Department - Direct questions regarding RIT's designated travel agencies and/or car rental programs to this office. The Procurement Services Department is located in Building 99, 475-2107; (click here for the Procurement website).

C. Travel Policies

Travel policies pertaining to RIT approved business travel are summarized below. More detailed information is available in section D.

  1. Advances - Advances are limited to $50.00 per day. Complete an IPF and forward it to the Accounts Payable Office to be processed. Note: individuals traveling on RIT business, who are not RIT employees, are not eligible to receive a travel advance (see Section E).
  2. Airfare - Only coach class or promotional fares will be paid by RIT. First class air travel is not an allowable expense (see Section D, 1); however, officers of the University are permitted to travel business class for international flights only.
  3. Approval for Reimbursing Travel Related Expenses - All reimbursements to employees for travel expenses must be approved by an authorized individual (i.e..., designated budget authority) who is at least one level of management above the person submitting the request (see Section D, 5).
  4. Documentation - Original receipts for all expenses must be submitted via an PDF attached file to the online TER; however, if the traveler has chosen a per diem meal reimbursement, receipts are not required (see Section D, 7)
  5. Mileage Reimbursement Rate - Reimbursements for mileage are made at the RIT business mileage reimbursement rate in effect at the time of the trip (see Section D, 12). Refer to the Controller's Office web page for the current rate as well as instructions about how to process a reimbursement request.
  6. Non-reimbursable Expenses - Travel expenditures that are not reimbursable include:
    1. Additional travel insurance, travel accident insurance or trip cancelation premiums (see Section G).
    2. Alcoholic beverages consumed as part of meal or otherwise while traveling on University business. Refer to Section A of RIT's Policies for Selected Discretionary Expenditures for more information.
    3. Insurance (both Collision Damage Waiver and Liability) from a car rental agency except when renting a vehicle outside of the United States (see Section G for more information about Insurance and Sections F for information about foreign travel).
    4. Additional expenses associated with the cost of first class airfare.
    5. Childcare and babysitting expenses.
    6. Corporate Travel Card delinquency assessments (see Section H, 6).
    7. Costs for commuting between your home and the RIT campus.
    8. Costs for personal medications.
    9. Costs incurred by your failure to cancel transportation or hotel reservations.
    10. Costs incurred by your spouse or other dependents traveling with you.
    11. Entertainment expenses, including movies in your hotel room.
    12. Gasoline expenses when the automobile mileage reimbursement rate is claimed.
    13. Host/hostess gifts, in lieu of meals and lodging, when the cost exceeds what meal and/or lodging expenses would have been.
    14. Hair styling and haircut expenses.
    15. Kennel/boarding expenses for pets.
    16. Laundry or dry cleaning expenses for trips less than one week.
    17. Magazines or newspaper expenses.
    18. NYS sales tax and sales tax paid in states that recognize RIT's tax exempt status (see Section D, 18).
    19. Other expenses not directly related to the business purpose of the travel assignment.
    20. Costs incurred for parking or speeding tickets.
  7. Reimbursable Expenses - Travel expenses that are reimbursable to you include:
    1. Airline Baggage Fees - RIT will reimburse you for the cost associated with one checked bag. Refer to the Controller's Office web page for details regarding baggage fees, or click here to view. 
    2. Automobile rentals (see Section D, 17).
    3. Expenses associated with baggage handling, storage, and tips.
    4. Fees to confirm your seat on a flight.
    5. Hospitality, if directly related to the educational or research purpose of the trip (see Section D, 9).
    6. Host/hostess gifts, in lieu of lodging, when the cost does not exceed what lodging expenses would have been.
    7. Laundry and/or dry cleaning expenses for trips of seven or more consecutive days.
    8. Lodging expenses (see Section D, 10).
    9. Meal expenses up to $56.00 per day including tips (see Section D, 11).
    10. Telephone calls, including those calls necessary to obtain transportation and hotel reservations, communicate with the office, and one personal call per day to your family.
    11. Transportation costs (see Section D, 1, 2, 13 & 17).

D. Travel Procedures - General

The following travel procedures are standard within RIT. As a general rule, all RIT business travelers or travel arrangers will book air fare and reserve hotel, rail, and car rentals through one of RIT's designated travel agencies. Other arrangements may be made for student travel. All other exceptions must be approved in advance by the Controller's Office.

  1. Air Travel - Book airfare through one of RIT's designated travel agencies either by calling an agent directly or by using the travel agency's on-line booking tool, if available. RIT will pay the travel agency directly. Note: almost all tickets are now ticket less; however, if you need a paper ticket, it will be mailed to your office. Refer to Section C.2. for more information.
    1. When you make a reservation through one of the designated travel agencies, use the direct bill option. To confirm that you are an RIT employee, provide the travel agent with your RIT University ID (UID) number for billing purposes.
    2. Book flights on the normally traveled route to your destination.
    3. While some restrictions or penalties may apply, advance reservations secure the lowest fares.
    4. Air carrier selection and method of payment cannot be selected based upon your frequent flyer affiliation.
    5. Purchases made through another agency are not permitted. Exceptions to the RIT policy must be approved in advance by the Controller's Office.
    6. Since RIT's insurance program does not cover aircraft liability associated with non-commercial air travel, you may not operate an aircraft that you own, rent or borrow when traveling on RIT business. If your RIT business travel requires the use of a privately chartered aircraft, please consult with RIT's Global Risk Management Office (GRMS) before leaving for your trip. See Section G, Insurance for additional information about insurance coverage while traveling on RIT business.
  2. Automobile Travel - Use your private automobile only if the itinerary or other aspects of University business make it the most practical method of travel.
    1. RIT will reimburse you for costs associated with automobile travel for business use based upon the current RIT business mileage reimbursement rate. Complete the mileage tab of the online TER for reimbursement of mileage expenses. If your travel does not include airline fare or an overnight stay, request reimbursement via the Oracle process: Reimbursement for Expenses. Refer to Section 12 below for more information.
    2. Visit the Controller's Office web page to obtain the current auto mileage reimbursement rate. The rate per mile changes periodically; RIT faculty and staff are notified via the message center when a change is made.
    3. The mileage rate is intended to reimburse you for gasoline, oil, normal maintenance, insurance, etc. It is not intended to reimburse full costs; it is to cover the incremental costs incurred when using your private vehicle for University related travel.
    4. Expenses incurred due to automobile mechanical failure or accidents, including personal automobile insurance deductions, are not reimbursable, nor are fines for parking or traffic violations.
    5. See Section D 17 for information about rental vehicles.
  3. Central Travel Account (CTA) - The CTA account has been established through PNC and RIT's designated travel agencies specifically to handle air and rail transportation charges for RIT travelers. Use of the CTA simplifies charging transportation expenses and provides the lowest available fare at the time air or rail travel arrangements are made. See item 6 below for specific information regarding the designated travel agency.
    1. NTID travelers should refer to item 8 below for information about the Government Travel Account (GTA).
  4. Cancelations and Refunds - You are responsible for obtaining a refund of an advance payment if there is a cancelation. All charges, cancelations, and refunds associated with RIT approved travel are the responsibility of the department or college.
  5. Designated Budget Authority - Requests for reimbursements are approved via electronic routing utilizing Oracle workflow following pre-established dollar limits. The approver is responsible for ensuring that the transaction is a legitimate business expenditure, that it complies with all RIT policies, and is supported by adequate documentation.
    1. Designated Travel Agencies - Make transportation arrangements for air or rail travel and reservations for hotel and car rentals through one of RIT's designated travel agencies listed below. Refer to the Controller's Office web page for detailed information regarding designated travel agencies.

      TZELL Travel Service                             585-663-8660  
      2820 Dewey Avenue                                  Toll Free: 1-800-842-0941
      Rochester, NY 14616-4628                        After hours: 1-800-569-0282
      Web Site:     Fax: 1-585-663-5155
      Town & Country Travel                         585-381-2850  
      732 Pittsford-Victor Road                         After hours: 1-866-966-2850
      Pittsford, NY 14534                                  Fax: 1-585-381-1987
      Van Zile Travel Service                            585-244-1100
      2349 Monroe Ave                                       Emergency Service: 1-877-443-5766
      Rochester, NY 14618
      Web site:
      1. Begin to schedule your itinerary as soon as your travel dates and destination are known. Book air, hotel reservations, and car rentals through the designated travel agency. Provide the travel agent with the time frame in which you need to leave and arrive at your destination.
      2. RIT has made arrangements with the designated travel agencies to provide one invoice per month for air and rail charges made to the CTA account. When making travel arrangements, tell the agency that you are from RIT and provide them with the travelers' 9-digit UID. RIT will pay the agency and charge a general ledger travel prepaid account for the payment amount. The charge will be reflected on your department statement when the TER is submitted and paid.
      3. NTID travelers should charge all air and rail charges to the GTA account set up with the designated travel agencies. When making arrangements, tell the travel agency that you are from NTID and provide them with the 24-digit account number that the air or rail expenses should be charged to. RIT will pay the agency and charge your general ledger account for the payment amount.
      4. If you have questions about a charge to your account from the designated agency, contact the travel agency directly; Accounting does not receive detail transaction information. If you are unable to resolve a billing issue directly with the travel agent, call Accounting at 475-4491.
      5. Do not charge your air and/or rail charges to your corporate PNC Travel Card or personal credit card. Often, travel arrangements are made well in advance of the date of departure, and using a credit card ties up dollars that should be available for other purchases, and necessitates an additional reimbursement request.
  6. Documentation Requirements - In order to be reimbursed, you must provide a PDF file of original receipts as documentation for all business expenditures* (except meal receipts if a 'per diem' is chosen as the reimbursement method - see Section D.11). If original receipts are not available, include a memo of explanation in your PDF file when you route your TER for approval to Accounts Payable. Your supervisor, or an individual who is one level of management above you, must approve the memo. When meals are charged to a credit card, please provide both the credit card receipt and the itemized vendor's receipt, if available. *Refer to Section A. Introduction for more information about an accountable plan.
    1. If you pay for an item with an RIT Procurement (Purchasing) Card while traveling, RIT will pay PNC directly. You will not be reimbursed for these items. Include purchases paid with your Procurement Card in the Advances/Prepaid section of the TER and include a copy of the receipt. Save the original receipt to send to Accounting with your monthly JPMorgan Chase statement (see Section D, 21).
    2. Include a copy of the conference/workshop brochure with the file attached to your online TER.
  7. Government Travel Account (GTA) - The GTA account has been established through RIT's designated travel agencies specifically for handling air and rail transportation charges for NTID travelers. Use of the GTA simplifies charging transportation expenses and entitles NTID travelers to low government rates. See item 6 above for specific information regarding designated travel agencies.
  8. Hospitality - We ask your thoughtful consideration regarding expenditures for hospitality while traveling. On those occasions when hospitality expenditures are beneficial to RIT's educational mission, reimbursement may be requested.
    1. The relationship of the expenditure to the educational or research mission of the trip must be clearly indicated in the Business Hospitality Record of the online TER (see Section D, 21). Enter all information in the 'Details' box of the online TER, indicating the specific business purpose, "who" (i.e... names of the people who attended the function), "what" (i.e... what was purchased, if not readily apparent from the receipt), and "why" (i.e.., why the expense was incurred and the business connection to RIT such as donor relations, faculty recruitment, etc.).
    2. Original receipts are required for reimbursement. If the original receipt is not available, prepare a memo providing an explanation, obtain the signature of your budget authority, include with the file you will attach to your online TER and submit for electronic routing to Accounts Payable.
    3. Hospitality expenses cannot be charged to a federal or state grant/contract.
  9. Lodging - When traveling, stay in reasonably priced, commercial class hotels and motels. Use your PNC Corporate Travel Card to pay for lodging expenses.
    1. To ensure the lowest possible rates, make your lodging arrangements through one of RIT's designated travel agencies.
    2. Ask for educational or corporate discounts at all hotel and motels, many of which charge reduced rates to those who identify themselves as faculty or staff members.
    3. You will be reimbursed for the actual reasonable expense of lodging for each night that you are traveling away from home.
  10. Meals - There are multiple meal reimbursement options for employees whose travel includes an overnight stay. Refer to the table below for details:
    Option Description Daily Max Other Information
    1 Domestic per diem method $41.00 Adjust for conference meals and time of departure and return (refer to 11.e. below)
    2 Standard domestic method $56.00 Original, itemized receipts required
    3 High-cost cities method $66.00 See 11.c. below
    4 International per diem method $78.00 Adjust for conference meals and time of departure and return (refer to 11.e. below)
    5 International method $125.00

    Original, itemized receipts required



    Adjustments for Conference Meals and Time of Departure/Return
    Option 1 Option 2
    Breakfast $ 7.00 Breakfast $13.00
    Lunch $11.00 Lunch $21.00
    Dinner $23.00 Dinner $44.00
    Total $41.00 Total $78.00



    1. Choose one reimbursement option per trip ( i.e.., per diem or actual receipts); do not combine reimbursement methods.
    2. The tip is part of the total meal expense.
    3. Refer to the list of major U.S. metropolitan (high-cost) cities referred to in reimbursement option 3
    4. The use of RIT's sales tax exemption certificates is encouraged; however, it is often not practical to request an exemption for small dollar meal purchases. Therefore, individual meals of $25.0 or less will be reimbursed including sales tax paid without a justification or explanation.
    5. When completing your TER, deduct for meals included in the conference fee and for actual time of departure and return. For example, when you flight departs mid-morning, deduct for dinner. Refer to the table below:
    6. Alcohol taken with meals is not a reimbursable expense per RIT's discretionary policy.
    7. Include specific hospitality information in the details box of the online TER for meals that include non-RIT travelers.
  11. Mileage Reimbursements - When you use your car for RIT business, RIT will reimburse you at the RIT business mileage reimbursement rate in effect at the time of your travel. The mileage rate is intended to cover the incremental costs associated with using a personal automobile for business purposes.Current rate information is available on the Controller's Office web page:  Business Mileage Reimbursement
    1. Complete a RIT Reimbursement for Expense, and enter the information on the mileage tab. Be specific and include the "address from" and "address to" information. The reimbursement will be deposited into your bank account, or mailed to your home if you are not set up with direct deposit, within 5 - 7 business days of receipt in Accounts Payable.
    2. If, in addition to your mileage reimbursement, there is also airfare and an overnight stay, complete the mileage tab of the TER to obtain reimbursement for your mileage expenses.
    3. Note: when you claim a mileage reimbursement, you cannot be reimbursed for gasoline.
  12. Miscellaneous Transportation
    1. Taxis and Shuttle Services - RIT will reimburse you for expenses for taxis or shuttle services for travel between the airport or rail station to your hotel, between appointments, or between hotels and conference locations or business appointments. Obtain receipts for all such transportation.
    2. Rail Transportation - RIT will reimburse you for the cost of railroad fare not to exceed the cost of the lowest applicable airfare.
  13. Other Travel Agencies - Make transportation arrangements for air or rail travel and reservations for hotel and car rentals through one of RIT designated travel agencies (see item 6 above). Use of another travel agency must be approved in advance by the Controller's Office.
    1. A memo signed by your department budget authority must include the justification for use of another agency as well as a written comparison of fares and indicating approval for use of a non-designated travel agency must accompany the TER.
    2. Itineraries must be identical. Similar or matching fares will not be accepted for reimbursement.
    3. There must be a documented cost saving.
  14. Registration Fees - Pay conference registration fees with your RIT PNC procurement card (see Section I). If the sponsoring organization does not accept a credit card, complete an IPF and send to Accounts Payable for processing.
    1. Submit an IPF with the original registration form and one copy. IPFs are usually mailed 5-7 working days after they are received in Accounts Payable.
    2. List the advance on your TER in the Advance/Prepaid Information section on the first screen of the online form.
    3. Registration fees will be processed as an expense on your department budget at the time the check is issued.
  15. Reimbursement of Travel Expenses - Complete a TER (see item 21 below), attach a scanned file of original receipts, and submit electronically for approval.
    Typically, your reimbursement check will be mailed to your home, or deposited into your bank account, within 5-7 business days after receipt in Accounts Payable.
    If your travel reimbursement does not include airfare or an overnight stay (e.g.., meals, mileage, and tolls only), complete an online request for reimbursement.
  16. Rental Vehicles - Do not use a rental vehicle when less expensive transportation is available. When a rental vehicle is required, contact one of the RIT designated travel agencies to make arrangements. If you would prefer to contact the rental agency directly, select one of the agencies listed below. To obtain RIT's corporate pricing, refer to the RIT corporate account number when you make your reservation.
    Company Web Site Phone Number Corporate Number
    Avis 1-800-331-1212 AWD#B005900
    Alamo 1-800-732-3232 126549
    Budget 1-800-527-0700 BCD#T224700
    Enterprise 1-585-235-1655 XZ29401** 
    Hertz* 1-800654-3131 CDP#1807216
    National** 1-800-328-4567 XZ29401**
    Thrifty 1-800-847-4389 001-0170245

    * RIT travelers may enroll in the Hertz #1 Club Gold Service at no cost. Complete an enrollment form available at http:/ Enter the following information: Company name: Rochester Institute of Technology; CPD#1807216; Pin Code: bapgold; click "join now".

    **RIT travelers may enroll in the Emerald Club at no cost by clicking here (Enterprise and National are owned by the same company and this loyalty program is accepted at both brands.)
    1. Pay car rental expenses with your PNC Corporate Travel Card. Refer to the Controller's Office web page for information about benefits available to cardholders.
    2. RIT will reimburse you for the cost of automobile rentals for economy, compact, subcompact, or standard vehicles only. In exceptional cases, reimbursement will be made for other types of vehicles (i.e.., when there are several travelers in one car, when equipment is being transported, etc.). Provide a detailed explanation in the 'Justification' box on the online TER.
    3. Do not purchase a Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Liability Insurance from the car rental agency except when renting a vehicle outside of the U.S.. (see Section G, 1 for more information). Contact GMRS at 475-6131 for evidence of insurance rentals in California or Texas.
    4. If you have an automobile accident while traveling on RIT business, notify your department head and GRMS at 475-6131 as soon as is practical.
  17. Sales Tax Exemption - As a not-for-profit institution, RIT is exempt from New York State sales tax on all goods and services purchased by employees for business use. In order to obtain the sales tax exemption, present the New York State Sales Tax Exempt Form to the vendor at the time service is rendered or goods are received and pay with a procurement card or RIT PNC Corporate Travel Card. Note: vendors may refuse to honor RIT's sales tax exemption if you pay cash or with a personal credit card.
    To obtain a list of states (and the tax exempt form) that recognize RIT's tax exempt status, refer to the Controller's Office web page.
    1. If you pay sales tax, you will not be reimbursed unless the service provider does not accept the RIT Sales Tax Exempt Form. If that is the case, provide a detailed explanation in the 'Justification' box on the online TER.
    2. Send the appropriate sales tax-exempt form to the hotel you are staying at so that they have the information prior to your arrival. This may save time when you are checking out.
  18. Special Discount Rates - Inform the RIT designated travel agency of all special conference or association discount air or hotel rates and ask them to book at these rates. If the agency is restricted from booking at the special discount rate, the agent will provide you with instructions as to how the booking can be made.
  19. Travel Advances - You may obtain an advance from Accounts Payable up to one week prior to the date of departure for your trip. Complete an IPF and indicate the TER number on the form that you will use to account for your travel expenses when you return from your trip. Complete an IPF and indicate the TER number on the form that you will use to account for your travel expenses when you return from your trip.  (Obtain a TER number from Accounts Payable). NTID travelers should refer to the Appendix J for information regarding travel advances.
    1. Advances are limited to $50 per day for each day of the trip.
    2. The request for an advance requires approval by your departmental budget authority.
    3. Allow five business days prior to your departure for processing.
    4. Indicate your destination, the business purpose of the trip and the duration of the trip (i.e.. Orlando, Florida; Oracle User's Group Conference, September 26th through September 30th, 5 days x $50.00 = $250.00 advance)
    5. In the "Distribution" section of the IPF, indicate the travel expense number for your department for informational purposes. AP will charge this amount to a prepaid account line. The advance will be charged to your department's budget when you submit your TER.
    6. Accounts Payable will process the request and send the check, made payable to the traveler, to the traveler's home, or will deposit directly to your bank account if you have set it up previously.
    7. Advances must be accounted for on the TER within two weeks after returning from your trip.
    8. If the amount of the advance is more than your total travel expenses, return the excess funds to RIT.
      • Complete a Deposit ID form and return the unspent cash to Student Financial Services prior to submitting the TER to Accounts Payable.
      • Attach the pink copy of the Deposit ID to the TER.
      • Do not send cash or personal checks to Accounts Payable.
    9. A second travel advance will not be processed until the prior advance has been accounted for. Failure to account for advances in a timely manner may result in the advance amount being added to your income and treated as taxable wages.
    10. Non-employees traveling on RIT business may not obtain travel advances.
    11. Occasionally it may be necessary to request an advance payment for a vendor. Complete an IPF and forward to Accounts Payable for processing. Include appropriate documentation such as a quote on hotel letterhead. Examples of advances that may be paid by check include:
      • Hotel deposits (use your PNC Corporate Travel Card if possible).
      • Car rentals (use your PNC Corporate Travel Card if possible)
      • Conference Registrations - only if the organization does not accept the RIT Procurement Card.
  20. Travel Expense Report - Complete an online RIT Reimbursement for Travel to account for travel related expenditures when air travel or an overnight stay is involved, or if you have requested an advance prior to traveling. Scan all original documentation to a file, attach the file to the online form and submit for electronic approval. Refer to the Controller's web page at for instructions.
    1. All original documentation must be included in the scanned file. Keep original receipts in your department until the Accounting office advises the University that originals may be destroyed. This typically occurs within sic (6) months of the end of RIT's fiscal year.
    2. If an original receipt is not available, prepare a memo giving the reasons why and obtain the signature of your budget authority, and include with the scanned file.
  21. Traveling with Your Spouse or Other Dependents - No travel, lodging, or meal expenses for your spouse or other dependents, above the cost of your expenses will be reimbursed to you by RIT. Personal travel expenses for spouse or other dependents cannot be incurred in the name of RIT with the intention they will be reimbursed by you to the University.
    1. Book spousal or other dependent travel through one of RIT designated travel agencies.
    2. You must pay the travel agency directly; the agent will provide a separate invoice for family members upon request.

E. Travel Procedures - Special

Travel to RIT by non-employees for employment interviews, visits by lecturers and other official visitors, travel for independent contractors/consultants, and travel for students as part of their educational and/or research requirements falls under the category of "special travel". Funds to support special travel are commonly limited by departmental budgets and/or the terms of grants and contracts. No commitment for reimbursing such expenses should be made without first consulting the appropriate department head, budget authority or principal investigator to determine whether or not such reimbursement is authorized.

  1. Budget Restrictions - If you spend more than you can be reimbursed for due to department budgetary restrictions, please include the phrase "budget restrictions" on the first page of the online TER (in the business purpose section, along with the actual business purpose) before completing the online process. You will be reimbursed up to the maximum allowed by your department.
    1. If, at the end of the fiscal year, there are departmental funds available to reimburse you for the remaining expenses, complete an IPF and send it to Accounts Payable for processing. Write the original online expense number (EX-xxxxx) on the IPF and include a brief memo of explanation.
  2. Employment Interviews - Prospective employees may be reimbursed, if authorized, for travel expenses incurred in connection with an employment interview at RIT in accordance with the normal travel policy for employees. Request reimbursement on an IPF.
  3. Grants & Contracts - If your travel is funded by an externally funded grant or contract, you must adhere to all RIT policies and procedures. In addition, there may be specific sponsor restrictions you should be aware of before making travel arrangements. If you have questions about the allow ability of expenditures, please contact Sponsored Programs Accounting at 475-2945.
  4. Independent Contractors/Consultants - Do not submit requests for reimbursement for expenses for independent contractors/consultants on a TER. Complete an IPF and a Form W-9 and attach the consultant's invoice. Indicate the independent contractor/consultant's Social Security Number and address for IRS Form 1099 reporting. The individual will receive a Form 1099 if the combined amount paid for services and reimbursable expenses is over $600 in a calendar year. To obtain information about making payments to independent contractors, refer to the Controller's Office web page.   
  5. Lecturers and Other Official Visitors - The department may authorize reimbursement to visiting lecturers or other official visitors for expenses incurred in connection with their travel to RIT. The reimbursement policies and procedures in effect for regular travel should be followed. Request reimbursement on an IPF, not on a TER.
  6. Moving and Relocation Expenses - Newly hired professional staff and faculty members relocating to the Rochester area to work at RIT may be eligible to receive reimbursement for certain expenses incurred as a result of the move. The actual amount of the reimbursement may vary due to departmental budgetary restrictions.
    1. Complete an RIT Relocation Expense Report (see Section K, V) to account for relocation expenses. Forward the approved form, with original documentation, to Payroll for processing. Complete instructions for completing the Relocation Expense Report are located on the Controller's Office web page at
    2. Your reimbursement will be added to your paycheck during the next payroll process.
      • Reimbursable moving expenses are all taxable and will be reflected on your paystub as "moving expense taxable". Taxes will be withheld from moving expense reimbursements and will be included in Box 1 on your W-2.
    3. RIT follows the IRS guidelines for computing federal income tax. See IRS Publication 521-Moving Expenses located on the IRS web page:
    4. With the approval of the appropriate dean or department head, reimbursable expenses may include the following:
      • Movement of household goods
      • Meals while traveling
      • Lodging during the move
      • Lodging before or after the move
      • Temporary living expenses
      • Please refer to the entire list of reimbursable expenses found in IRS publication 521.
    5. If you incurred additional expenses that were not reimbursed by RIT, but qualify as deductible moving expenses, you may be able to deduct them when you file your tax return. Consult your tax advisor for further information.
    6. If you have any questions about reimbursements for relocation and moving expenses, call the Payroll Office at 475-5582.

F. Foreign Travel

Foreign travel by employees to attend conferences, meetings, perform research and other related activities (including internships and study abroad programs), is often necessary in fulfilling the university's mission. However, foreign travel may present risks for travelers and the university from unexpected situations such as medical emergencies, natural disasters, political instability, crime, and terrorism. Proper planning and due diligence prior to traveling can help to mitigate the adverse effects of these events.

When traveling outside of the United States on RIT business, employees are advised to obtain information about foreign car rentals, travel advisories and other insurance liability issues before departing for their trip. Contact Global Risk Management Services at 475-6135 for more information (see Section G for more information).

Faculty, staff, and students traveling to a foreign country on university business, at university expense, or study abroad must follow the procedures listed below.

  1. Approvals
    1. When the travel destination is a country that does not have a US State Department travel warning or travel alert, or where there is no other reliable information of significant health or safety risks, the traveler must obtain approval from their dean or department head prior to making travel arrangements and/or incurring any travel related expense.
    2. When the travel destination is a country with a US State Department travel warning or travel alert, or where there is other reliable information of significant health or safety risks, the traveler must obtain advance approval from their division vice president before making travel arrangements and/or incurring any expense. No university or sponsor funds may be used, or sponsorship provided, in support of travel to these locations without prior approval.
    3. It is the traveler's responsibility to check the current travel warning and alert lists, obtain the necessary authorization, and to read and abide by the information contained in the travel warning or travel alert. Travelers should also read the Department of State's "Tips for Traveling Abroad".
    4. Approval of foreign travel may be withdrawn by the university at any time if conditions warrant cancelation.
  2. Automobile Rentals - By law, most countries require insurance coverage to be provided by licensed resident insurers. If the coverage is not included in the rental agreement, employees who rent vehicles outside of the United States should purchase the minimum legally required insurance coverage offered by the rental company. This expense will be reimbursed by RIT.
  3. Business Class Air Fare - Officers of the University may fly business class when traveling internationally.
  4. Currency Conversion - Convert all expenses to U.S.. dollars prior to submitting your TER to Accounts Payable for processing.
    1. Indicate the rates used to convert foreign currency to U.S.. dollars. The rates should be those used at the time of the transaction, not the rates in effect at the time you complete and submit your TER. Convert each line on the TER separately and write the U.S.. amount on each receipt.
    2. If your trip is for duration of one week or less, you may calculate an average currency rate.
    3. If you travel to more than one country, indicate the applicable rates on a separate sheet and attach to the file you will attach to your TER.
    4. You may obtain up to date currency conversion information on the following web site:  
    5.  When using your PNC Travel Card, the foreign conversion will be done for you and appear in both the foreign amount and the U.S.. dollars
    6. Below is an example of how to calculate foreign exchange:
      • You have a receipt for $13.37 for a meal while traveling in Canada.
      • At the time of your, the Canadian exchange rate was 35%.
        - 35%
      • Multiply the expenditure by the percent and you will arrive at the American dollar amount.
        x   .65
        $ 8.69
      • Record $8.69 on your TER.
  5. Emergencies While Traveling - Report emergencies while traveling to Public Safety at 585-475-3333.
  6. Fly America Act - The Federal Fly America Act requires that Federal employees and their dependents, consultants, contractors, grantees, and others performing United States Government financed foreign air travel to travel by U.S.. flag air carriers. If your travel will be paid by Federal funds, when making your travel arrangements, advise the designated travel agency to ensure that your flights are in compliance with the Act. Refer to the Controller's Office web page for more information about the Fly America Act.  
  7. Grants & Contracts - Foreign travel requires the prior approval of the sponsor unless it has been specifically approved in the grant/contract budget.
    1. Contact Sponsored Research Services (475-7984) to obtain sponsor approval prior to making foreign travel arrangements.
    2. In addition, there may be other sponsored imposed restrictions you should be aware of prior to making travel arrangements. Contact Sponsored Programs Accounting at 475-2945 to obtain specific information regarding international travel restrictions.
    3. Refer to the Fly America Act information in 6 above.
  8. Study Abroad Programs - The RIT Study Abroad Program Requirements, adopted by the provost, must be followed. Contact the office of Academic Enhancement Programs for assistance.
  9. Travel Assistance Program - Obtain a travel assistance identification card from Global Risk Management Services.
  10. Trip Information - Leave detailed trip information with your department (i.e.. contact information, itinerary, copy of passport, etc.). The university will utilize this information to contact you in the event of an emergency.

G. Insurance

RIT employees are covered under RIT's group of insurance policies for activities conducted in the scope of their job responsibilities while traveling off campus on University business. This applies to both domestic and international travel. RIT maintains a comprehensive insurance program including coverage for general liability and auto liability claims (bodily injury or property damage to third parties).

  • If you are involved in an incident that results in a claim while traveling on University business, report it to your manager and RIT's Office of Risk Management and Safety as soon as practical.
  • Direct questions regarding coverage for non-employees traveling on RIT business and coverage for individuals whose employee status is unclear, to the Office of Risk Management and Insurance prior to the trip.

  1. Auto Liability Insurance - Automobile liability insurance is normally provided as part of the rental car agreement and should not be purchased. RIT maintains non-owned automobile liability insurance in excess of the amount provided by the automobile rental company for travel within the United States and Canada. Contact the Risk Management and Insurance Office to discuss insurance implications when renting automobiles outside of the U.S.. and Canada.
    1. Your personal automobile insurance policy is primary when you use your vehicle for RIT business. You are responsible for any deductibles under your policy.
  2. Injury or Sickness - RIT maintains worker's compensation insurance for claims for employees arising from a work-related injury or sickness. This coverage applies to on-campus activities as well as when an employee is traveling on RIT business, either domestic or international.
    1. Coordinate incidents that occur on campus or within the nearby community that require medical services through RIT Human Resources, whenever possible, and RIT's managed care program.
    2. Emergency situations and those incidents occurring out of the RIT community area, including those in foreign countries, should be directed to the appropriate medical facility immediately and reported to RIT Human Resources as soon as practical. The worker's compensation plan will cover necessary medical expenses for the work-related injury.
    3. If you have international travel plans, it is advisable for you to contact your primary medical insurance carrier to discuss how your medical insurance coverage will respond in the event a sickness or injury arises during travel that is not work related.
  3. Insurance Beneficiary - Your beneficiary for travel accident insurance is the same as the beneficiary you designated under the RIT Group Life Insurance program. If you wish to designate a different beneficiary for the blanket travel insurance, call the Office of Risk Management and Safety at 475-6131
  4. PNC Corporate Travel Card Coverage - Refer to the VISA Commercial Card Benefits Package for detailed information regarding insurance coverage available through VISA or view on line at   
  5. Loss of or Damage to Personal Property - RIT has no insurance for loss of, or damage to, luggage or other personal effects during travel. If such damage occurs, seek reimbursement through your personal insurance company.
  6. Personal Accident Insurance - Rental companies also offer the option of purchasing personal accident insurance. Insurance of this type is not considered a reasonable and necessary business expense and may be a duplication of RIT's blanket travel insurance. You will not be reimbursed for the cost of personal accident insurance if purchased.
  7. Rental Car Collision Damage Waiver - Automobile rental companies offer the option of purchasing a collision damage waiver (CDW) for an additional daily cost. The purpose of the waiver is to eliminate the renter's responsibility for payment of car repairs in case of collision damage. Since RIT is self-insured for damage to rental automobiles, damage may be covered through the PNC car rental agreement or MasterCard's Master Rental insurance, decline CDW for all U.S.. car rental agreements.
    1. If you opt to purchase CDW, you will not be reimbursed for the expense.
    2. If you rent a vehicle outside of the U.S.., accept any collision damage waiver that is offered.
    3. Report all accidents involving a rental car to your manager and the RIT Risk Management and Insurance Office as soon after the accident as practical.
  8. Travel Assistance Program - RIT employees, officers and trustees are covered under a Travel Assistance Program when travel occurs more than 100 miles from their permanent residence. The plan provides emergency medical assistance, emergency personal services and pre-trip information. The program is administered by Worldwide Assistance Services, a 24-hour toll free emergency service. Travel Assistance ID cards and other information about this program are available from the Risk Management and Insurance office, George Eastman Hall, room 4008.
  9. Travel Accident Insurance - You are covered by accidental death and dismemberment insurance while away on approved travel for RIT. This does not include commuting between your home and the RIT campus or air travel other than on a charter or commercial aircraft. (Refer to the Human Resources web page for additional RIT coverage information: You will not be reimbursed for the cost of other travel insurance.
  10. Traveling with RIT Property - If you are traveling with property owned by RIT, contact the Risk Management and Insurance office to determine whether the items are insured and, if not, whether it is advisable to purchase insurance.
  11. Traveling with Students and Non-RIT Employees - Generally speaking, RIT students and other individuals not employed by RIT are not covered under RIT's group of insurance plans.
    1. RIT does maintain an excess accident policy that would respond to claims resulting from an accident to a student while that student is on campus or while at a RIT-sponsored activity that takes place off-campus. A claim against the student's primary medical insurance plan would occur first before any benefit would be paid under RIT's excess accident plan. This student excess accident insurance policy has a maximum benefit of $10,000 per accident per student.
    2. Non-RIT employees traveling as part of an RIT contingency would rely on their own primary medical insurance for medical services arising during travel. There is no RIT medical insurance coverage available for non-RIT employees.
  12. Trip Cancelation Insurance - RIT does not carry insurance for expenses associated with trip cancelations. Your department budget must absorb these expenses. If you purchase trip cancelation insurance, without prior approval from your department head, you will not be reimbursed for the expense.

H. Corporate Travel Card Programs


RIT has contracted with two providers to offer corporate travel cards to employees of the University. All regular RIT employees who expect to incur $500 of RIT approved business travel or hospitality expenses per year may apply for a corporate travel card.

  • RIT employees may apply for a PNC Corporate Travel Card.

Both corporate cards are "individual pay" - the employee (cardholder) is responsible to remit payment directly to the bank for all expenses incurred on the card in connection with business-related travel and/or hospitality. The employee may request reimbursement from the University for authorized business expenses. While the card is issued in the name of the employee, it is intended to be used to pay for business travel expenses only including hotels, transportation services including car rentals, and meals as well as hospitality (note: the corporate travel card is not intended to be used to pay for personal expenses).

Both cards are designed to provide employees with a convenient method to pay for RIT business travel and hospitality expenses. There are numerous advantages to using a corporate card:

  • Your credit line on your personal credit card is not tied up with business expenses.
  • It makes it simple to keep track of business expenses for which you will be reimbursed. The charges on your card are imported directly into the RIT Reimbursement for Travel system making it very simple for you to complete your reimbursement request.
  • Since the RIT tax exempt number is embossed on the card, hotels and other businesses are more likely to accept RIT's tax exempt form.

Please plan ahead to ensure that you have your card in-hand prior to leaving on your business trip.

PNC Corporate Travel Card

  1. Refer to the Visa Commercial Card Guide that comes with your Card to learn more about the benefits Package available to all Visa cardholders:
    • Travel and Emergency Service
    • Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
    • For emergency service or answers call: 1-800-VISA-911
  2. Report lost or stolen cards to JPMorgan Chase at: 1-800-527-7760



General Information about Corporate Travel Cards



  1. Applying for a Corporate Travel Card (Card) - You may initiate an application at any time. Departmental approval is required prior to submitting the application to Accounting.
    1. Call Accounting at 475-4491 ( or the Controller's Office 475-2383 ( to obtain an application form for a PNC Corporate Travel Card (RIT employees only).
    2. Return the completed application to Accounting, attention: Valerie Russell, GEM room 6008, for processing.
    3. Cards are usually available for pick-up from the Controller's Office within five (5-10) business days after the competed form is received by Accounting.
    4. When you pick up your new Card, you will be asked to sign an "Acknowledgment of Receipt" form recognizing receipt of the card and agreeing to comply with all RIT travel policies and procedures. RIT identification is required. You are expected to read and comply with all terms stated in the disclosure agreement accompanying the Card.
    5. Only one Card will be issued to each employee. RIT will not provide a second (spouse) Card.
  2. Delinquent Accounts - You, the cardholder, are responsible to pay for all charges incurred on the Card.
    1. An account becomes delinquent when a payment has not been received by the bank and credited to your account within 30 days. If an account is not paid within 30 days, the bank will notify both you and RIT that the account is past due.
    2. If you do not make payment within 61 days of the billing date, your Card will be suspended.  The cardholder and supervisor will receive an email stating the card will be suspended and balance due is expected to be paid in full by end of business day.  The cardholder's procurement card, if applicable, will also be suspended.
    3. If you do not make payment within 91 days of the billing date, your Card will be cancelled.  The cardholder and supervisor will receive an email stating the card will be cancelled and balance due is expected to be paid in full by end of business day.  The cardholder's procurement card, if applicable, will also be cancelled.  You will not be reissued another Card at any time in the future.
    4. The RIT travel card is a personal liability credit card; therefore, delinquent balances will affect your personal credit.  In addition, delinquencies such as this jeopardize the viability of the travel card program and it has a potentially serious impact on RIT.  If you need assistance or guidance regarding resolution of delinquent debt on your RIT travel card, you may contact your HR Services Manager who will provide you with information regarding RIT's Employee Assistance Program.
  3. Leaves of Absence - If you are granted a leave of absence without benefits, you must surrender your Card before beginning the leave. If you are granted a leave of absence with pay, you may retain and continue to use your Card.

  4. Lost or Stolen Cards - If your Card is lost or stolen, call:   PNC: 1-800-685-4039
  5. Reimbursement for Expenses - Complete the Oracle Online RIT Reimbursement for Travel to be reimbursed for business travel or hospitality expenses charged to your Card; RIT will not remit payment for your bill directly to your Card provider.
  6. Responsibility for Payment - You, the cardholder, are responsible to pay for all charges incurred on your Card in a timely manner. Card statements are mailed directly to you and are also available online the first day after statement date.  You are responsible for remitting payment directly to the bank. The amount owed for all charges is due by the payment date indicated on the statement. A late fee and finance charge will be assessed when payments are received after the due date. Cardholders are responsible to pay any late fees or finance charges.  RIT will not reimburse cardholders for late fees and finance charge.

  7. Termination of Participation - Your participation in the Card program will be terminated under any one of the following conditions:
    1. When you are no longer employed by RIT.
    2. If your account becomes delinquent (past 30 days) more than six times in any 12 month period.
    3. If your account is 91 or more days past due.
  8. Other
    1. You may not use the Card for personal use or delegate the use of your Card to another individual.
    2. Misuse of the Card may result in disciplinary action.
    3. The Card may not be used to purchase equipment or supplies. Follow RIT purchasing policies and procedures for such purchases.
    4. If you cancel your Card for any reason, cut it in half and return to Accounting, 2nd floor of Barnes & Noble @ Park Point.
    5. Since the Card is for business use only, it is imprinted with RIT's tax exempt number. All qualified purchases made with the Card are sales tax exempt.
    6. Inform the vendor of RIT's tax exempt status before the transaction is processed. You will be asked to present a New York State Tax Exempt form; forms may be obtained from the website listed below:
      • Refer to the Controller's Office web page for a list of states that recognize RIT's tax exempt status; access the state tax exempt form using your DCE secure log in.
      • Note: Travelers will not be reimbursed for sales taxes paid if they have not asked for the exemption.
  9. Use of the Corporate Travel Card
    1. Use the Card for official RIT travel-related expenses including the following:
      • Automobile Rental and other transportation services (excluding air and rail tickets - charge to the CTA or GTA account through one of RIT designated travel agencies; refer to the Controller's Office web page for more information:
      • Food service establishments
      • Fuel
      • Lodging

I. RIT Procurement Card

The RIT Procurement Card is a VISA credit card issued through PNC. The Procurement Card program is designed to provide employees with an efficient mechanism to make approved small dollar purchases less than $1,500.00. While the card cannot be used for travel expenses such as airfare, hotel, or car rentals, it is an ideal way to pay for conference registration fees and small sundry expenses incurred while traveling such as copying charges and supplies. Refer to the Procurement Card Guide on the Controller's Office web page at for more information regarding the use of the Procurement Card.

  1. Obtaining a Procurement Card - Departmental approval is required in order to obtain a PNC Procurement Card.
    1. An application may be initiated at any time. Forms are available on the Controller's Office web page at or from Accounting at 475-4491. Return the completed application to Procurement Services, Building 99, for processing.
    2. Procurement Cards are usually available for pick-up by applicants at the Controller's Office within two weeks after receipt of the completed application form by Accounting.
    3. At the time of receipt, you will be required to sign an Acknowledgment of Receipt form recognizing receipt of the card and agreeing to comply with all procurement card policies and procedures. RIT identification is required.
  2. Payments Made to PNC - RIT receives one monthly bill for all cardholder activity and processes one monthly payment to PNC. You will receive a monthly statement mailed to your RIT office. Use this statement to reconcile card activity only.
  3. Reimbursement - All purchases made with the RIT Procurement Card are paid by RIT. Cardholders will receive a monthly statement from PNC for information purposes only.
    1. To account for travel related purchases (i.e.. conference registration fees) made with the Procurement Card, complete a Oracle Online RIT Reimbursement for Travel and on page one, indicate the total dollars spent using the Procurement Card. This is for informational purposes only.
  4. Other - Refer to the Procurement Card Guide located on the Controller's Office web page at for more information about the RIT Procurement Card or call Procurement Card Administrator at 475-4491.

J. Appendix

  1. NTID Citibank Government Travel Card Cash Advances
    NTID employees may use their Citibank Government Travel Cards to obtain cash at ATMs.
    1. Note: NTID travelers may not request cash advances from Accounts Payable. Cash advances may be obtained from ATM machines displaying the Cirrus logo or the PLUS logo using the Citibank Master Card Travel Card. Advances may also be obtained at Citibank branches.
    2. If you require a cash advance, the amount should not exceed $50.00 per each day of travel. You may obtain up to one week's cash advance at one withdrawal.
    3. RIT will pay the actual expenses associated with cash advances up to a maximum $23.25 per month ($50 per day X 31 days X 1.5%).
    4. You may incur an access surcharge if you use your card at non-Citibank ATM. RIT will pay the actual expenses incurred for surcharge fees up to a maximum of $7.50 per month (5 transactions X $1.50).
    5. Expenses associated with cash advances in excess of the guidelines in c and d above are the responsibility of the employee.