Student Resources

Student Services

The Office of Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts provides academic advising and scheduling assistance to College of Liberal Arts degree program students and RIT students who are pursuing an immersion, minor, or secondary major in the College of Liberal Arts. We also provide pre-professional advising to students who are in interested in pursuing pre-law or education studies. Our advising staff, made up of highly trained professional advisors, can help you select appropriate courses for your degree or interests, develop a plan of study, and explain RIT’s policies and procedures. Advisors also provide study abroad advising to help students add an international dimension to their studies.

Hours & Location

The office is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-4 p.m. by appointment. Contact your advisor with questions or schedule your appointment on Starfish. The Office of Student Services is located on the second floor of Liberal Arts Hall (LBR 2210).



Students must take the Writing Placement Exam (WPE) in order to enroll in First Year Writing (UWRT 150 or ENGL 150). Students are given the opportunity to take the WPE on-line prior to fall orientation. Students who did not take the exam prior to orientation can access the exam page at

The purpose of the Writing Placement Exam is to determine whether students may enroll directly in First Year Writing (UWRT 150 or ENGL 150) or must take Critical Reading and Writing (UWRT 100) before taking First Year Writing. The WPE is an essay test. Students have 50 minutes to write the essay in response to one of two prompts. Students may take the WPE only once, so they should endeavor to do their best on the exam.

This means that the course section has enrollment requirements in effect. Seats may be reserved for a particular program or minor which may either be temporary or permanent. Please check the student information system for the course criteria for enrollment. If you do meet the criteria and are still unable to enroll, please contact the Office of Student Services in the College of Liberal Arts for assistance.

In many circumstances, an instructor may be unable to accept additional students due to the size of the classroom and/or nature of the particular curriculum. As class enrollment can fluctuate during pre-registration and drop/add periods, please add yourself to waitlist and continue to monitor SIS for openings that will permit you to be waitlisted and/or enrolled.

Log in to SIS and click on the My Academics link on the left side navigation bar. Once you enter that menu, select the link that says Declare/Change Immersion. Select an immersion from the drop-down menu and click submit. You will receive a confirmation message that the immersion has been added to your student record.

Generally, students should declare an immersion by the end of their second year of study.  If you need assistance with choosing an immersion, check out the Liberal Arts Navigator and then talk to an advisor about your results.

Please check the RIT directory website at:

Students may also call 475-2444 for more information.

Students should see an advisor when they have questions regarding:

  • a liberal arts double major, minor, or immersion
  • changing your program to a liberal arts major
  • pre-law or becoming a teacher


Selecting a Liberal Arts Immersion allows you to explore areas of interest apart from your major, as well as develop crucial transferable skills that you will use throughout your career. To help you find an immersion that fits with your interests and goals, we’ve developed an easy way to navigate the liberal arts options available to you. You’ll be able to explore immersions based on your areas of interest, as well as see what immersions other students in your home College are pursuing. We’ll also highlight topics each immersion covers, the transferable skills gained and refined through its study, as well as possible careers you can pursue when you combine it with your major.

So play around, have fun and see what interests you!

Library Services

The Wallace Center Library at RIT is home to a variety of resources that can make your academic life easier and your study time more productive. You can find complete information on the library and all of its services at

The College of Liberal Arts has a dedicated librarian to help students through the research process. Whether you need help finding a source, navigating various databases, formatting a citation, or you just aren’t sure where to start, connecting with the college librarian can save you time and ensure you’re on the right track.

Lara Nicosia is available for assistance on all College of Liberal Arts subjects via email, phone, online chat, or in-person meetings. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are preferred. If you need immediate assistance and Lara isn’t available, you should contact the reference desk.

Lara Nicosia
(585) 475-2626