The DeafTEC Resource Center at the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) is partnering with CompTIA to provide a full-time 10-week hands-on training course offered in person on the RIT campus for up to 12 non-matriculated deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals. CompTIA A+ is the industry standard for establishing a career in IT and is the preferred qualifying credential for technical support. The bootcamp will be taught in American Sign Language by experienced, credentialed NTID faculty and will be offered May 25, 2022 to August 5, 2022.
During this bootcamp, you will:
- Gain technical skills such as repairing and maintaining computer equipment, networks, and operating systems.
- Learn key workplace skills such as professional communication and problem solving.
- Sit for the CompTIA A+ (Core 1 and Core 2) certification exams at the end of training.
Upon successful CompTIA A+ certification, you will also:
- Receive job placement assistance from CompTIA’s career services staff.
- Earn college credit for three 3-credit courses from NTID’s Applied Computer Technology associate degree programs that can be used to pursue an associate degree at NTID or at other colleges across the country that accept the credit.
The CompTIA A+ Bootcamp will prepare you to enter the information technology field in positions such as:
- IT Support Specialist.
- IT Field Service Technician.
- Help desk technician.
- End-user computing technician.
- Service desk analyst.
Enrollment is limited to 12 participants. We are looking for committed, motivated learners who are able to commit the time and effort needed to be successful in this course. To be considered for acceptance into this bootcamp, you must:
- Submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and be willing to comply with the RIT safety plan.
- Be willing and able to live on the RIT campus for the duration of the bootcamp.
- Be committed to attending all classes and doing outside work as necessary to complete all requirements.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and write standard English in a professional setting.
- Complete an application form that includes questions on why you want to take this course.
- Provide a verifiable audiogram indicating severe-to-profound hearing loss if you are not a RIT/NTID alum.
- Be non-matriculated (not taking classes).
- Complete an aptitude test.
- Participate in a scheduled interview with the DeafTEC Ready team.
- Sign the required enrollment agreement.
This bootcamp is being offered as part of the DeafTEC Ready project funded by the National Science Foundation’s Advanced Technological Education program. All expenses including travel to and from Rochester, room and board on the RIT campus, workshop materials, and CompTIA A+ Core 1 and Core 2 exam vouchers are covered by the grant. There are no fees or costs to attend this bootcamp.
The deadline to apply for this bootcamp is Monday, February 28, 2022 by 11:59 p.m. EDT.
For questions about the bootcamp, contact Maureen Gallagher at email@example.com.