Pre-Employment Transition Services week
The virtual Pre-Employment Transition Services week provides opportunities for deaf and hard-of-hearing college-bound students from different states to gain experience and explore their career interests in STEM fields. These programs are available to all eligible deaf and hard-of-hearing high school students at no cost with approval from their state Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.
In summer 2023, we are partnering with organizations from various states around the country to provide a number of programs supported by NTID. See each section below for the type of programs we offer and the states these programs are available in.
Each participating state’s STEM week will be held from Saturday, June 24 - Thursday, June 29, 2023.
As part of this program, students will:
- Get hands-on experience in technology and specialized skills
- Receive a free package filled with cool tech and activities
- Learn more about what their interests are as they look toward a career
- Join fun evening activities and make new friends from all over the state
- Have fun!
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Learn more about computers in a programming workshop
- Participate in unique and interesting engineering challenges using a free robotics kit
- Investigate a mock crime scene with a free crime scene kit
- Explore microbiology and the world of microorganisms
Students will work with career counselors and faculty in small group settings to:
- Determine their interests in career, specifically Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) careers
- Develop decision-making skills
- Build confidence and develop personal awareness
- Develop leadership skills and independence
There are three STEM Weeks being offered in the following regions:
Pacific Northwest STEM Week event flyer (pdf, 384kb)
Illinois STEM Week event flyer (pdf, 387kb)
California STEM Week event flyer (pdf, 62kb)
STEM Week is supported by Rochester Institute of Technology's National Technical Institute for the Deaf in partnership with the above organizations.
Create Your Future
NTID is partnering with California Department of Rehabilitation Services to offer Create Your Future (CYF), a one-week program for qualified deaf and hard-of-hearing high school students preparing for life post-graduation. This program is available to students from the state of California only.
Students will have an opportunity to:
- Learn financial responsibility and budgeting
- Go on a Starbucks factory tour
- Practice mock interviews
At CYF, students will:
- Learn new skills
- Explore different careers
- Make new friends
- Have fun!
Students work with CYF staff to:
- Explore the job searching process
- Learn about resources available
- Build knowledge and set new goals
- Develop leadership skills and confidence
Learn more about CYF and download our flyer below:
Create Your Future 2023 event flyer
Apply today for Pre-Employment Transition Services week! Once the application is completed, please also complete the additional forms below:
Apply now for California programs
- California Required Forms:
- RIT Virtual Program Release Agreement and Waiver (pdf)
- RIT Participant Code of Conduct (pdf)
- State of California - DOR - Student Services Request Form (pdf)