Description of Work
During the COVID-19 pandemic, this position is conducted primarily through telework. Employees may be required to work remotely or onsite occasionally at the request of the hiring manager.
This Rehabilitation Counselor position will be located in the Greenville Vocational Rehabilitation Unit Office. The primary purpose of this position is to provide rehabilitation services to eligible consumers that have deaf and hard of hearing/communication disorders to enable them to obtain and/or maintain competitive employment. This position will require travel and serves Beaufort, Bertie, Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Dare, Gates, Hertford, Hyde, Martin, Pitt, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Tyrell and Washington counties. Services are provided according to State, Federal and Agency policies and guidelines.
Selected applicant is accountable for the design and implementation of a comprehensive plan of vocational rehabilitation services.
Job responsibilities include the following:
• Evaluating diagnostic data to determine eligibility and needed services
• Develop a written plan of services in conjunction with the customer
• Provide supportive counseling
• Monitor the consumer's progress throughout the service delivery process
• Work directly with community partners in order to enhance employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities
• Document service delivery and case progress in the case management system as required by agency policy
Selected applicant needs to have the means to travel as the job requires.
*In order to be considered for this position you must attach a copy of your transcripts.*
Salary Grade: GN10
Recruitment Range: $39,611– $54,486
The DHHS Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) promotes employment and independence for persons with disabilities through customer partnership and community leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the
application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will
not be considered for qualifying credit. Qualified candidates must document on the application
that they possess all of the following:
If your Master's degree is in a field other than Rehabilitation Counseling, your application must explicitly demonstrate that you possess the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities listed below:
• In-depth knowledge of casework methodology and techniques of rehabilitation counseling
• Knowledge of federal and state laws governing the delivery of rehabilitation or independent living services
• Demonstrated ability to interpret medical and psychological data in planning and developing rehabilitative services
• Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with consumers, family members, and various professional and specialty services involved in the rehabilitation process
• Ability to network and communicate effectively with area employers and/or community agencies through excellent verbal and written skills
Management prefers candidates with the following:
• Proficient sign language skills are preferred in order to effectively communicate with the deaf and hard of hearing population served by this caseload.
• Knowledge of deafness/hard of hearing (especially as it related to employment) deaf culture, and community resources for the deaf and hard of hearing is required.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Master's degree in rehabilitation counseling from an appropriately accredited institution;
A master's degree in a related human services field from an appropriately accredited institution;
Current certification as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor by the Commission of Rehabilitation Counselor Certification.
Postion number is 60054451