North York. M2L 1A2
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING (Job Posting 2021-89)
TITLE: Life Skills Counsellor
POSITION STATUS: Full Time – Permanent (Non-Union)
SCHEDULE: Monday to Wednesday 1pm-9pm Thursday/Friday 10am-6pm
(flexibility required as needed)
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
The Bob Rumball Canadian Centre of Excellence for the Deaf (BRCCED) is a provincial leader in the Deaf community. Our mission is to provide care and opportunities in a communication-rich environment that enhances the quality of life of those we serve. We are a highly motivated, collaborative team on a mission to improve the quality of life for those we serve. We take a person centered approach that aims to support and make a positive difference in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community. Our perks include but not limited to robust benefits program (for eligible employees), access to sign language classes, employee rewards & recognition program, comprehensive training and development, internal progression, and an opportunity to give back to the community.
The Life Skills Counsellor provide the individuals in care with opportunities to increase their level of independence in skill area such as communication, daily living, social, and community awareness based on each individual’s Life Plan.
• Assist in identifying needs for all individuals in the program
• Be familiar with all individual programs developed from the Individual Support Plan and assist as necessary
• Plan and organize indoor and outdoor recreation activities for all individuals on a weekly basis
• Ensure all individuals are safely transported to appointments, community outings, outside programs, transportation stations and family homes
• Ensure a high level of quality care is maintained at all times
• Follow Policies and Procedures for the agency and Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services as they apply to our individuals and standard of care.
• Use the least intrusive procedures necessary to maintain a stable environment
• Maintain a respectful attitude towards individuals at all times
• Utilize community resources & liaise with community members
• Advocate on behalf of individuals and their specific needs/goals
• Keep your team up to date on program activities at all times
• Teach, coach, mentor – life skills, daily activity schedules and community involvement
• Physical activities including but not limited to, lifting, bending and prolonged standing
• Provide leadership to part-time staff
• DSW Diploma or related college degree or equivalent work acquired experience
• Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a residential setting with Consumers with developmental disabilities, mental health needs and/or dual diagnosis
• Knowledge and experience working within the deaf community and fluency in ASL
• Knowledge and experience working with clinical professionals as it relates to mental health and/or behavioural needs
• Demonstrated leadership, creative problem solving abilities; good judgement and critical thinker
• Advocates for and with the Individuals and deaf community at all times.
• Excellent communication, literacy and interpersonal skills
• Innovation, initiative and integrity
• Demonstrated experience in computer literacy (e.g. Words, Excel, Outlook)
• Valid Ontario Full G Driver’ s License and clean driving record
• French language/LSQ an asset
Please contact the above if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process.
PLEASE QUOTE JOB POSTING NUMBER YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posting Date: July 27, 2021 Closing Date: August 11, 2021 Start Date: Immediately