Virtual STEM Trivia Contest
Virtual STEM Trivia Contest
What is the Virtual STEM Trivia Contest?
RIT/NTID is welcoming students to our next series of virtual STEM trivia events! This one-day trivia contest is open to all deaf and hard-of-hearing 9-12th grade students in the United States. Participants sign up individually to compete virtually against other students from all over the country. Answer questions about a variety of STEM and pop culture topics, and the student with the most points will win a cash prize!
How does the trivia contest work?
1. There will be two rounds – a first round where anyone can compete, and then a final round for the five top-scoring competitors from the first round.
2. The game will be hosted on Kahoot, which is a virtual game-based learning platform that we are using for our questions.
3. Players use their own devices, e.g. a phone or laptop, to join the game via kahoot.it or the Kahoot! app by entering their name they used to register for the event.
4. Players answer the questions as they pop up on the shared screen with their devices. The quicker a player answers correctly, the more points they’ll receive!
5. There are no penalties for answering incorrectly.
6. The person with the highest score in the final round will receive a cash prize!
Event Dates and Times
The Virtual STEM Trivia Contest is a series of two different virtual trivia events during the 2022-2023 academic year, with participants having a chance to win a $250 cash prize each time.
There will be two events in fall 2022:
November 17, 2022
December 15, 2022
Each event is hosted on the third Thursday of the month, at 7:00 p.m. ET via Kahoot.
To register for a Virtual STEM trivia event, you first register here on this webpage. Once you sign up, you will receive an email with a Zoom link when time is near, so you can chat with your fellow competitors. On the day of the event, you will be provided a game pin to play Kahoot!
Kahoot is an online game-based learning platform which we will use to host the virtual trivia event. Students will enter the game with the URL we provide upon registration.
No, you don’t need a webcam to participate.
You will need a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and Internet Explorer) to connect the Kahoot! Play It webpage OR by using the Kahoot! App on a smartphone or a tablet. You are not limited to using a computer or laptop!
You do not need an account to play.
The questions will be based on the topics of science, technology, engineering, and math, as well as some pop culture questions.
Deaf and hard-of-hearing students who are in 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade as of fall 2022 may participate!
If you have questions about the Virtual STEM Trivia Contest, contact Roxann Richards at Roxann.Richards@rit.edu