Study Abroad may be within your reach. You may qualify for a variety of aid options to assist with your study abroad experience. Check out the steps and tips listed below to help you explore the possibilities.
- Follow the steps outlined on the RIT Global web page under the Getting Started section.
- Once you have identified the program that interests you, obtain a completed Budget Worksheet from the Study Abroad Office or from the academic department that is coordinating the program. Submit this worksheet to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships via the Financial Aid Document Upload: www.rit.edu/aid/upload then, call our office at 585-475-2186 schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Counselor who is assigned to counsel you on financial aid matters. Please allow at least two business days for processing, after your Budget Worksheet is submitted.
- Review the Financial Aid / Study Abroad Policies before your financial aid appointment.
- Meet with your Financial Aid Counselor mentioned in Step 2 above to discuss your financial aid eligibility. He or she will explain the types and amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive. Factors that can impact your financial aid are:
- The number of credits registered while studying abroad
- Your tuition rate (RIT tuition vs. Affiliated Program tuition)
- Total number of semesters enrolled for the year
- Before you leave for your Study Abroad experience, be sure to review the Financial Aid & Scholarship section of eServices for any additional requirements, and return all required documents to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. These may include accepting your financial aid, submitting a Verification Worksheet, providing copies of tax documents, etc.
- For additional information on how students can finance their study abroad experience, review the Funding Options section on the RIT Global web page.
- Research funding options for additional Study Abroad expenses such as:
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
- Alternative Educational Loans through a private lender - ask your Financial Aid Counselor to assist you with calculating the correct loan amount and loan period dates.
- If borrowing a loan for travel expenses, reference the Student Financial Services Office website for information regarding the credit balance refund process.