Applying for Aid | Graduate Students

Applying for financial aid is an important step in making an innovative, creative education possible.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

  1. Apply for admission to your desired RIT Graduate program.
  2. Contact your graduate program coordinator to learn about scholarships and assistantship opportunities.
  3. Review all the sources of funding available to graduate students.
  4. If you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, apply for Federal Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and using RIT’s school code 002806.
  5. Get additional aid information if you are an NTID-Supported student receiving Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) or a Veteran/Military Family.

Contact us if you have questions or need help.

Contact Us about aid


RIT Graduate Scholarships are offered by academic programs in recognition of students’ records of academic excellence. The amount of the scholarship offer(s) varies by student and department. Scholarships do not include a stipend. These offers carry with them the expectation that students will maintain a minimum academic standard (3.0 cumulative grade point average) and make satisfactory progress toward their degrees.

Students who qualify for a full RIT tuition waiver or full reimbursement from an employer or an outside agency are not eligible for an RIT Graduate Scholarship.

View Graduate Scholarships Available


Two RIT students working in a lab.

RIT Graduate Assistantships are offered to full-time matriculated graduate students to serve as teaching, research, or administrative assistants. Graduate assistants receive wages (determined by the department making the appointment) in exchange for work performed. Many graduate assistants also receive tuition remission (i.e. tuition support) in addition to receiving wages for assistantship duties.

Contact your graduate program contact to discuss what Teaching and Research Assistantship opportunities are available.

Graduate Program Contact Search

Federal Student Loan Eligibility

Money offered to U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens by the Federal government. International students are not eligible for federal student aid.

Federal aid may include Federal Loans and/or Federal Work Study. To apply for a federal student loan, you must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). RIT’s FAFSA school code is 002806. You will receive a financial aid offer notification that will detail how much federal loan funding you may borrow.

FAFSA®: Getting Started 2022-23.

As a graduate student, you can borrow up to $20,500 each year in Direct Unsubsidized Loans. Direct Graduate PLUS Loans can also be used for the remainder of your college costs not covered by other financial aid. The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan requires a separate application available through

Before your federal loan(s) can disburse, you will be required to complete Entrance Counseling, a tool to ensure you understand your obligation to repay the loan; and sign a Master Promissory Note, agreeing to the terms.

Federal student loans can be used for living expenses as well as for books and educational-related supplies, in addition to tuition.

You can choose how much loan funding you would like to accept. You are not required to take out all of the loans that are offered to you.

FAFSA Priority Filing Dates

The earlier you apply, the earlier you will receive your financial aid notification.

Complete the FAFSA

Submit the 2023-24 FAFSA by November 1, 2023

Financial aid offer notification begins late November 2023.

Submit the 2024-25 FAFSA by March 1, 2024

Financial aid offer notification begins mid-April, 2024.


Additional Aid

Outside Scholarships

Outside Scholarships and Employer Tuition Waivers are offered by private (non-RIT) organizations. We encourage all students to apply for outside scholarships since these are an excellent source of funding and may reduce the need to borrow loans. If you are receiving a scholarship or tuition waiver from an outside source, regulations require that you notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. In many cases, no adjustments to a student’s financial aid offer are necessary.

Alternative Educational Loans

Alternative Educational Loans are private (non-federal) loans offered through banks to supplement financial aid offers. You may borrow through any lender of your choice as RIT does not maintain a preferred lender list. Many lending institutions require students to have a US co-signer in order to apply for an alternative student loan. You can conduct an independent search for lenders that fit your needs.

Carefully review all financing options prior to considering this type of loan. If you qualify for federal loan(s), be sure to use these loan options first (Direct Subsidized/ Unsubsidized and Direct PLUS/Graduate PLUS loans).

If you are an international student, you can conduct an independent search for lenders that fit your needs as well as investigate loan options in your home country. Start by researching lenders based in your region or home country who offer alternative educational loans. External websites that you may find useful include the EduPass and International Education Financial Aid (IEFA).

Vocational Rehabilitation Assistance

VR (also known in some states as ACCES-VR, DVR, MRC, and OVR) is provided by state agencies to residents who meet specific requirements. If you appear to be a candidate for support we will estimate the amount of VR support in your financial aid offer. There is no national standard for determining VR support. Each state agency has its own method for determining awards. Contact the VR Office nearest your home, using this state-by-state directory, for more information. If the actual amount of support you receive is different from the estimated amount on your financial aid offer please provide us with confirmation from your VR counselor. You may provide the Confirmation of VR Support form to your VR counselor and return it to us via our secure file uploader.

Combined Accelerated Bachelor's/Master's Degrees

RIT’s Combined Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Degrees are for our most highly focused, goal-oriented students. These pathways enable you to earn both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in less time through the double counting of credits, or specified graduate course waivers.

Your financial aid will change over the course of a Combined Accelerated Bachelor's/Master's Degree program. When you are enrolled as an undergraduate student, you will be billed undergraduate tuition and fees rates, and receive undergraduate financial aid. Once you advance to graduate status, your tuition, fees, and financial aid switch to graduate tuition and aid and your undergraduate financial aid will no longer apply. 

You can view more details about the change in financial aid for a specific program:

Forms and Resources

We’ve collected the forms you may need to submit when applying for financial aid. All forms require at least one signature. Digital and electronic signatures are not acceptable.

To view forms, we recommend you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (you can download it for free).

The best way to submit forms is through our secure file upload, which protects your privacy and confidential information. We do not accept any forms or documentation via email.

Forms may also be mailed to our office. Find our address in the Contact section.

Additional resources are available if you need help determining your financial need, understanding financial aid terms, and more.

Financial Aid Forms Secure File Upload

Contact Us

If you have questions at any point in the process, we’re here to help.

For general questions about the financial aid process, we recommend our live chat.

For general questions about your specific situation, we recommend that you email

For detailed questions about your specific situation, we recommend that you call 585-475-2186.

Contacting our office by phone or email allows us to answer specific questions related to a student as long as we are able to affirm the student and the individual requesting information to protect privacy and confidentiality. Live chat is reserved only for general non-student specific information.

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

Bausch and Lomb Center
56 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, NY 14623-5604

Directions to Admissions and Aid

Financial Aid Counseling Team

Consumer Information

Secure Document Upload

Office Hours

8:30am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday
p. 585-475-2186

f. 585-475-7270