Summer term begins the financial aid year (unlike the academic year which ends with summer). Financial aid is available for students enrolled during the summer term, just like fall and spring terms.
Students who wish to receive financial aid for the summer 2022 term must complete a 2022-23 FAFSA. In addition, students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours (half time) to qualify for federal student loan funding. Here are some things to consider when enrolling for classes during a summer term:
- Federal student loans have annual limits. If your intention is to enroll for three terms (summer, fall, and spring), you will be awarded a third of your federal loan eligibility per term assuming you are enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours for each semester.
- Undergraduate students who qualify for federal Pell Grant funding may be eligible to receive a prorated amount during terms in which they are enrolled for less than half-time. The amount of funding awarded per term will depend on the number of credits a student is enrolled within a term and the number of semesters a student is enrolled in total for the year.
- Undergraduate students must be enrolled full time in order to be awarded RIT grants and scholarships. For example, if you plan to only register for 6 credits for summer semester, but enroll full-time for fall and spring semesters, you will only be awarded institutional grants and scholarships for fall and spring semesters since you are not enrolled full-time for the summer term.
- If summer semester will be your final term to complete your degree requirements, and you do not need to be enrolled full-time, please let your financial aid counselor know so that we may maximize your aid eligibility for your last semester.
- Graduate students who plan to be enrolled for summer semester should reach out to their academic departments regarding scholarship renewal.
Check the Financial Aid & Scholarships section of eServices to determine if you have any outstanding documents or action items to be completed for the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
If you have questions as to how your aid will be impacted by attending summer term, please contact your financial aid counselor to discuss your enrollment plans. We are here to assist you.