International Travel

International travel requirements and recommendations change as new variants of COVID-19 emerge.

Traveler Requirements

All air passengers, regardless of vaccination status, must show a negative COVID-19 test taken no more than 1 day before travel to the United States. In addition, starting January 22, non-U.S. individual travelers entering the United States at land ports of entry and ferry terminals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Monitor the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for the most recent guidance regarding air travel requirements and recommendations, and monitor the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website for information on lard ports and ferry terminals.

RIT advises against traveling outside the U.S., unless it is critically important. There may be an increased risk of being stuck or delayed if the U.S. adds more entry restrictions.

International travelers should also have a plan in case you get stuck outside the U.S., or you experience a delay of weeks or months. In addition, there may be new entry requirements going to your home country. Please check in advance for the latest rules to enter your country.

CDC travel requirements PDF

Land Ports of Entry and Ferry Terminals Fact Sheet


RIT's International Student Services office has already reached out to current international students, as well as incoming international students, about the December 6 travel requirements and restrictions.

Acceptable COVID-19 Vaccinations

RIT's acceptable vaccines include those approved for use in the U.S., accepted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or approved by the World Health Organization. These are currently the same as the U.S. entry requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions

Starting January 22, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will require non-U.S. individual travelers entering the United States at land ports of entry and ferry terminals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, go to the Department of Homeland Security website.

Please contact your academic advisor and International Student Services for additional guidance.