Applying for Aid | NTID-Supported Students

NTID-Supported students pay less than one-half of RIT’s tuition.

How to Apply for Financial Aid

  1. Apply for admission. You will be automatically considered for most RIT/NTID Scholarships.
  2. Apply for Federal Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and using RIT’s school code 002806.
  3. State Aid may be available from the state you reside in. The process varies state-to-state and requires a separate application.
  4. Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) by contacting the VR office nearest your home. View the state-by-state directory for more information. 
  5. Outside Aid Sources are available depending on your financial need. You may be eligible for additional scholarships or you may choose to take out alternative educational loans.

Contact us if you have questions or need help.

Contact Us about aid
Abigail Murray headshot

My communication with the Financial Aid Office has been steady and accessible as I have always received helpful answers to every question and concern. Their support has made my college career affordable, enabling me to pursue my studies with motivation and endurance. I foresee that the aid received now will set me up to graduate and begin my career with a reliable financial foundation.

- Abigail M.
ASL-English Interpretation Major

RIT/NTID Application and FAFSA Preferred Filing Dates

Early Decision I

November 1

Financial aid offer notification begins mid-December

Early Decision II

January 1

Financial aid offer notification begins mid-January

Regular Decision

January 15 [Fall]
November 1 [Spring]

Fall financial aid offer notification begins mid-March. Spring notification is rolling.

State Aid and Outside Aid Sources may have their own deadlines that vary.

What does it cost to attend RIT/NTID?

Deaf and hard-of-hearing students enrolled in any undergraduate degree program pay less than one-half of RIT’s tuition. The reduced tuition rate also applies for students enrolled in the American Sign Language-English Interpretation program.

Deaf and hard-of-hearing students enrolled in graduate degree programs also pay a reduced tuition rate. This also applies to hearing students enrolled in the Master of Science program in Secondary Education of Students.

For additional information on tuition and fees visit the Tuition and Fees page.


Money offered to you by the university. May come in the form of RIT/NTID Scholarships, RIT/NTID Grants, and/or RIT Student Employment.

RIT/NTID Scholarships

Offer based on your academic and/or extracurricular merit. You are automatically considered for most RIT Scholarships just by applying for admission to RIT.

Scholarships that require additional applications are the RIT Performing Arts Scholarship and the RIT/FIRST Scholarship.

RIT Grants

Offer based on your financial need. This is determined by the results of your FAFSA. This is one reason we recommend all students apply for Federal Aid.

The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships will determine your eligibility for RIT, federal, and other financial aid programs. This may include institutional grants, federal grants, federal loan programs, and federal student employment. For additional information on these programs, please view the Supporting Your Success document.

RIT Student Employment

All RIT students are eligible to work as student employees. RIT Employment offers indicate the total amount of money you may earn per semester. Students can use the RIT Job Search to find on-campus jobs and apply.

Federal Aid

Money awarded to you by the Federal government. May include Federal Grants, Federal Loans, and/or Federal Work Study.

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to receive Federal Aid. RIT’s FAFSA school code is 002806.

We recommend all students file the FAFSA, regardless of family income or estimated family contribution.

FAFSA®: Getting Started 2022-23.

Federal Grants

Awarded to you based on your financial need. You will not have to pay this money back.

Federal Loans

Loans allow you and/or your parents to postpone paying a portion of your educational costs until after you graduate (or drop below half-time enrollment).

You can choose which loans to accept, and you are not required to take out all of the loans awarded.

Federal Work Study

Work Study is a form of Student Employment. Work Study is awarded based on your financial need, as determined by the FAFSA. Work Study offers indicate the total amount of money you may earn for personal expenses each semester. Students can use the RIT Job Search to find on-campus jobs and apply.

State Aid

State Aid opportunities, their application processes, and deadlines will vary from state to state. There may be Scholarships and/or Grants available from the state you reside in.

New York State Residents

Visit the NYS Higher Education Services Corporation website. There are a variety of aid opportunities available for New York state residents, including the Express Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).

Out-of-State Residents

Contact the state education department where you reside for information about eligibility.

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Assistance

VR is provided by state agencies to residents who meet specific requirements. If you appear to be a candidate for support we will estimate an amount of VR support in your offer letter. There is no national standard for determining VR support. Each state agency has its own method for determining awards. If the actual amount of support you receive is different from the estimated amount on your financial aid offer letter please provide us with confirmation from your VR counselor. You may provide the Confirmation of VR Support form to your VR counselor to return to us via our secure file uploader.

Outside Aid Sources

Depending on your financial need, you may want to explore Outside Aid Sources. You may be eligible for additional scholarships or loans from outside institutions and banks to assist you in affording your education.

Outside Scholarships

Alternative Educational Loans

 We always recommend filing the FAFSA first. Federal loans typically have lower interest rates than outside sources.

Forms and Resources

We’ve collected the forms you may need to submit when applying for financial aid. All forms require at least one signature. Digital and electronic signatures are not acceptable.

To view forms, we recommend you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (you can download it for free).

The best way to submit forms is through our secure file upload, which protects your privacy and confidential information. We do not accept any forms or documentation via email.

Forms may also be mailed to our office. Find our address in the Contact section.

Additional resources are available if you need help determining your financial need, understanding financial aid terms, and more.

Financial Aid Forms Secure File Upload

Contact Us

If you have questions at any point in the process, we’re here to help.

For general questions about the financial aid process, we recommend our live chat.

For general questions about your specific situation, we recommend that you email

For detailed questions about your specific situation, we recommend that you call 585-475-2186.

Contacting our office by phone or email allows us to answer specific questions related to a student as long as we are able to affirm the student and the individual requesting information to protect privacy and confidentiality. Live chat is reserved only for general non-student specific information.

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

Bausch and Lomb Center
56 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, NY 14623-5604

Directions to Admissions and Aid

Financial Aid Counseling Team

Consumer Information

Secure Document Upload

Office Hours

8:30am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday
p. 585-475-2186

f. 585-475-7270