This program is only available online.
The MS in data science has a strong career focus and prepares students with the practical and theoretical skills to handle large-scale data management and analysis challenges that arise in today's data-driven organizations.
In response to the growing need to generate and analyze meaningful data across all industries, demand for a new breed of professionals skilled in data analytics is on the rise. By 2020, data science job openings are projected to grow by 15 percent. The MS in data science encourages students to work with practitioners active in the field of data science, analytics, and infrastructure to provide hands-on experience solving real problems. The curriculum includes opportunities for students to choose elective courses to pursue a variety of career paths within the broad field of data science and its various application areas. The program will prepare students—regardless of their scientific, engineering, or business background—to pursue a career in data science.
The foundation for the MS in data science begins with the data science MicroMasters program delivered on the edX platform. Nine credits will be awarded for the MicroMasters certificate toward the MS in data science at RIT. edX is an online content provider for higher education course work. RITx is RIT's partnership with edX, in which we offer individual courses as well as MicroMasters programs. A MicroMasters is a series of graduate level courses offered by RIT but through the edX online learning platform. You'll study with RIT faculty who will teach courses online that meet the same rigorous and complete courses that are as rigous aswho are experts in the field of data science while These courses provide deep learning in a specific career field and are recognized by employers for their real job relevance. Students may apply to RIT after completing the MicroMasters in data science. which accelerates your program of study and is less expensive than completing all of the program courses directly through RIT.
Data science, MS degree, typical course sequence
|Course||Sem. Cr. Hrs.|
|DSCI-623||Introduction to Data Science: Management||3|
|DSCI-644||Software Engineering for Data Science||3|
|edX MicroMasters courses||6|
|DSCI-799||Data Science Capstone||3|
|edX MicroMasters course||3|
|Total Semester Credit Hours||30|
To be considered for admission to the MS in data science, candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete a graduate application.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university.
- Have prior knowledge or professional experience in computer programming and statistics.
- Submit transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work
- Submit a minimum of two recommendations from individuals who are well-qualified to assess the applicant’s potential for success.
- Submit a current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent). Applicants with a GPS below 3.0 may be considered, but are required to submit GRE scores.
- International applicants whose native language is not English must submit scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. A minimum TOEFL score of 88 (internet-based) is required. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is required. The English language test score requirement is waived for native speakers of English or for those submitting transcripts from degrees earned at American institutions.
Certain countries are subject to comprehensive embargoes under US Export Controls, which prohibit virtually ALL exports, imports, and other transactions without a license or other US Government authorization. Learners from Syria, Sudan, North Korea, the Crimea region of the Ukraine, Iran, and Cuba may not register for RIT online courses. Nor may individuals on the United States Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the United States Commerce Department’s table of Deny Orders. By registering for RIT online courses, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.