This program is only available online.
The MS in data science has a strong career focus and aims to prepare students with the practical and theoretical skills to handle large-scale data management and analysis challenges that arise in today's data-driven organizations.
The program enables students to work with active researchers in the field of data science, analytics, and infrastructure who can provide hands-on experience with real data and real problems. The curriculum includes opportunities for students to choose elective courses to pursue a variety of career paths within the broad field of data science and its various application areas. The goal of the program is to prepare students, regardless of their scientific, engineering, or business background, to pursue a career in data science.
The program is broad-based and comprehensive, combining computing and statistics courses. Core courses include statistics, data management, analytics, and software engineering. Elective courses provide students an opportunity to explore different areas of data science while a capstone project or thesis round out the program.
Data science, MS degree, typical course sequence
|Course||Sem. Cr. Hrs.|
|DSCI-623||Introduction to Data Science: Management||3|
|DSCI-633||Introduction to Data Science: Analytics||3|
|DSCI-644||Software Engineering for Data Science||3|
|DSCI-799||Data Science Capstone||3|
|Total Semester Credit Hours||30|
To be considered for admission to the MS in data science, candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Complete a graduate application.
- Hold a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university.
- Have prior knowledge or professional experience in computer programming and statistics.
- Submit transcripts (in English) of all previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent). Applicants with a GPS below 3.0 may be considered, but are required to submit GRE scores.
- International applicants whose native language is not English must submit scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. A minimum TOEFL score of 88 (internet-based) is required. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is required. The English language test score requirement is waived for native speakers of English or for those submitting transcripts from degrees earned at American institutions.
Certain countries are subject to comprehensive embargoes under US Export Controls, which prohibit virtually ALL exports, imports, and other transactions without a license or other US Government authorization. Learners from Syria, Sudan, North Korea, the Crimea region of the Ukraine, Iran, and Cuba may not register for RIT online courses. Nor may individuals on the United States Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the United States Commerce Department’s table of Deny Orders. By registering for RIT online courses, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such country or on any such list.