Personal statements are a common (and important) aspect of applications. They help give the reviewer a sense of who you are. Here are some things to keep in mind when writing your personal statement.
- Be authentic. Tell your story.
- Do not repeat things found elsewhere in your application.
- Avoid generalizations, broad statements, and cliches.
- Show, don't tell: make sure to qualify statements with examples.
- Don't be shy and get feedback from multiple people: advisors, professors, peers, friends, and family.