Your student visa is an official government document that temporarily authorizes you to be in the country you are traveling to, so providing the required documents needed to apply for a visa to the Education Abroad office in a timely manner is an important part of your study abroad application
Student Visa Instructions for Dubai
- All students studying abroad in Dubai for a semester must apply for a one year student visa.
- You will be informed of deadlines for submission of required documents by Study Abroad advisor, Maureen Shannon.
- You can contact Maureen Shannon (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
- All required documents should be submitted to Maureen Shannon, either in person or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Before Starting the Visa Process
- All students applying for study abroad in Dubai must complete their profile and application on the Compass database.
- Please make sure to upload a scanned color copy of your passport in your profile.
- Please make sure the scanned passport copy is readable. You should also check to make sure all information is visible, including the numbers on the bottom of the page.
- Prior to applying for study abroad, please make sure to check the expiration date on your passport. Visa approval requires that your passport be valid for a minimum of six months past the end date of your program. If necessary, you can apply to renew your passport through the local post office, or county clerk office.
- Upon acceptance into the program, you will receive an e-mail from the RIT Education Abroad office notifying you of your application status and providing instructions with next steps.
What type of visa will I need for study abroad in Dubai?
Students applying for a study abroad program in Dubai will apply for a one-year student visa.
How do I apply?
You will receive information on how to apply for the Dubai visa when you meet with your study abroad advisor. You will submit all paperwork to the RIT Education Abroad office and your advisor will guide you through the process.
What documents are required for the student visa?
Students must submit:
- Completed visa application
- Digital passport size photo, in .jpg format
- Scanned copy of your passport, in .jpg format
- Letter from your medical insurance company, confirming that you have coverage in the UAE, and/or GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) countries.
Do I need to book flights before applying for the visa?
No, it is not required to have flights booked before RIT Dubai submits your visa application.
When should I submit my paperwork?
You will be asked to submit your visa paperwork upon approval of your study abroad application.
What is the application fee?
The visa application fee is included in the study abroad program fee. No extra out of pocket payment is required.
How long does it take for the visa to be approved?
The processing time is approximately 15 working days.
Will I receive my visa before I depart?
You will receive your visa digitally via e-mail prior to your departure. It is important that you print your visa (on a color printer if possible) and bring it with you, along with your passport, so that you are registered under the appropriate status when you arrive in Dubai.
Can I keep my Emirates ID card?
It is required that you turn in your Emirates ID card to the RIT Dubai Student Services Manager before leaving Dubai at the end of the semester. RIT Dubai needs your ID card in order to close out your visa. Failure to turn in your card will result in a charge of $685.00 USD added to your RIT eServices account.